Windows 7 + Trados 2007 FL + Office 2016 = ?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 5

Lately, I'm getting more DOCX files with formulas that don't work correctly with Word 2003 (augmented with Microsoft filter add-ons) or Studio 2011. (You can see that I'm quite conservative about my software.) I do have an Office365 subscription that allows me to install Office 2016. I also have a Trados 2007 license. Has anyone tried to translate Office 2016 files in Office 2016 with Trados 2007 Freelance? If this doesn't work out, I'll probably have to use OmegaT for these files because I'm not yet ready to shell out money for a CAT tool upgrade.

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 17:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some hint Apr 5

Hi Artem, can't answer your question, but it did work with Office 2010, although in order to clean the files, you had to convert them back to .doc format.
Good luck!

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:54
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
11 years old Apr 6

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
Lately, I'm getting more DOCX files with formulas that don't work correctly with Word 2003... or Studio 2011. I do have an Office365 subscription... I also have a Trados 2007 license.... I'm not yet ready to shell out money for a CAT tool upgrade.

Studio 2017 works fine with Office 365. I know that's not what you're asking, but at some point everybody has to move on. Trados 2007 is now at least 11 years old, Studio 2011 is seven years old and Office 2003 is 15 years old. I didn't want to be forced to move from Office 2003 to Office 2007 with its new interface but one gets used to it.

It seems to me that not upgrading is a false economy, particularly if you are running into file version problems and spending time trying to fix them. I would bite the bullet and move to Studio 2017. The upgrade cost is minimal if you're a full-time translator, especially if amortised over several years. It's just a cost of the business for a piece of software that you will use a good deal or, in my case, more than any other tool.

Regards,
Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 + Trados 2007 FL + Office 2016 = ?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search