Cannot open a DOCX file saved by Trados 2015. File has "content errors" of "unidentified type"
Thread poster: Artyom Timeyev

Artyom Timeyev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:38
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 10

I translated a big document from Russian into English, and saved the target. When trying to open it using Word 2007 (my OS is Windows 7), I get the message "Cannot open the file due to errors in its content". If I press "details" in this message box, it says: "Unidentified error. Location: /word/document.xml, Line: 34001, Column: 82".

What do I do now?

Direct link Reply with quote

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Repair function or utility Apr 10

You probably need to find a repair function or utility.

You could start here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/893672/how-to-open-documents-by-using-the-open-and-repair-feature-in-word

If that doesn't work, you could search for "Word repair utility". Just be careful not to end up with malware masquerading as a utility.

Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, but Apr 10

Thank you for the answer, but Word's Open and Repair feature failed to solve the problem. I get the same error message, with the same line and column.

I wonder why I should repair anything - it's a freshly-saved DOCX file, and Trados did not report any errors while opening the source. Is it okay for it to save corrupted files? Can I do something in the Edit window in Trados to solve the issue?

I'll try looking for third-party repair utilities.

Update:
Remo Repair Word processed the file and said it has repaired it. Yet MS Word still fails to open it, displaying the same error message.

[Edited at 2018-04-10 16:41 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not OK for Studio Apr 10

If Studio saved a corrupt file, I suggest you report it to SDL. If you have a support subscription, they may also help repairing the file.

I don't there is anything to do in the Studio editor that will help. This is obviously not a 'feature'.

In the meantime, I would still try various repair tools. One of them may fix it.

If nothing else works, you could try to save the source file as .doc, then import the new .doc file into Studio and use the translation memory to pre-translate it, and then hope Studio doesn't also corrupt the .doc file when it saves it.

Adrien Esparron
Local time: 03:38
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Third party Apr 10

Artyom Timeyev wrote:

If I press "details" in this message box, it says: "Unidentified error. Location: /word/document.xml, Line: 34001, Column: 82".

What do I do now?

If I good understand your file is ans XML one, so you can open it with a text editor, like Notepad ++, go to the line in question and see which character is incorrect (the 82th in that line). Change it or squash it and the problem should be solved. Save and open it anew in MS Word.

Hope this helps.

Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Adrien Apr 10

Adrien Esparron wrote:

If I good understand your file is ans XML one, so you can open it with a text editor, like Notepad ++, go to the line in question and see which character is incorrect (the 82th in that line). Change it or squash it and the problem should be solved. Save and open it anew in MS Word.

Hope this helps.

Adrien, not quite so. This is a DOCX file, and inside this file (when you un-ZIP it) there is this XML file. I opened it using Notepad++, and here's line 34001 in full:

a:extLst xmlns:a="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/main"

There are an opening bracket at the beginning: angled bracket.
And a closing bracket at the end: angled bracket.
For some reason a whole line in between fails to render in this forum when I use them, so I don't now how to write them here. ><

This closing bracket at the end of the line is exactly in position 82. I don't see anything wrong with it; I'm not a programmer though.

The lines starts a set of lines that start and end with "a:extLst". There are dozens of charts in the document, and many of them are preceded with this set of lines. I think I'll cut all the charts out and then try to translate the text-only file in Trados, and then put all the charts back in, manually, in MS Word. It's good that I have some time before the deadline. Would have been a trainwreck to have such an issue with no time to spare.

[Edited at 2018-04-10 17:49 GMT]

Adrien Esparron
Local time: 03:38
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Closing tag Apr 10

Artyom Timeyev wrote:

Adrien, not quite so. This is a DOCX file, and inside this file (when you un-ZIP it) there is this XML file. I opened it using Notepad++

For sure you have to unzip the DOCX... It was to make it simple.

and here's line 34001 in full:
This closing bracket at the end of the line is exactly in position 82. I don't see anything wrong with it

I guess this closing tag is not closed (or opened) properly? I mean could miss a slash ? Have you other similar lines with the same type of syntax without errors?

For the moment I don't see something else. You could maybe try to make a comment of this line? Just to see what happens.

Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
rere Apr 10

I guess this closing tag is not closed (or opened) properly? I mean could miss a slash ? Have you other similar lines with the same type of syntax without errors?

For the moment I don't see something else. You could maybe try to make a comment of this line? Just to see what happens.

Adrien, all closing brackets seem to be in their correct positions.

a:ext uri="{FF2B5EF4-FFF2-40B4-BE49-F238E27FC236}"
a16:creationId id="{00000000-0008-0000-0E00-00000E000000}" xmlns:lc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/lockedCanvas" xmlns="" xmlns:a16="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/drawing/2014/main" xmlns:xdr="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/spreadsheetDrawing" /
/a:ext
/a:extLst

Here's the full content of the repeating set of lines. I cut out the angle brackets because this forum eats them along with their content.

Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Just a suggestion... Apr 10

This is not something I understand quite well, but here is a suggestion: if you open the source file in Notepad++, does it look the same way at this specific point?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open a DOCX file saved by Trados 2015. File has "content errors" of "unidentified type"

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search