Which term base is Studio adding terms to?
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:00
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

MODERATOR
Apr 14

Dear All,

When setting up a project in Studio Freelance Plus, one can choose which translation memories are updated and which are only used for concordance purposes—and this is only logical.

However, when it comes to the addition of new terms to termbases, things get sketchy. You can change the order of termbases attached to the project, but which of them will actually receive the new terms?

terms

There are no boxes to tick, so is only the first one in the list going to be updated? What if I want two of five termbases to be updated with the new terms?

Best regards,
PTs

[Edited at 2018-04-14 08:24 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Terms are added to the first TB in the list only Apr 14

Terms are always added to the first termbase in the list exclusively. AFAIK, there is no way to add a term to more than one termbase at once.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:00
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

MODERATOR
TOPIC STARTER
. Apr 14

Thank you for your input, Erik!

I can actually think of a workaround: add an empty project-specific termbase as the default one (at the top of the list) and then, after the project is completed, export the terms from this new termbase and import them to all the termbases you need those terms in.

However, why should things be so difficult and conterproductive, when a simple tick box next to each termbase's name in the list could do the job?

Best regards,
Pavel Tsvetkov


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why so complicated Apr 14

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

However, why should things be so difficult and conterproductive, when a simple tick box next to each termbase's name in the list could do the job?



Why, that's because it's SDL, after all! 😖

I'd already be happy if Studio were actually able to reliably recognise terms I've entered into a termbase, but there you go...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 18:00
English to Polish
+ ...
Absolutely right Apr 15

Hi Pavel,

You're absolutely right. This is one of the most ridiculous things in Studio. In Wordfast Classic WF asked me which termbases I want to add a term to. Meanwhile, in Studio you're limited to only the default one. There are a number of such "features" that should have been done away with a long time ago.

And this is, in my opinion, one of the biggest downsides of Studio. In many aspects it's completely user-unfriendly. To make it more or less useful you need to install a ton of plugins, but the problem is that the plugins, by their nature, can't be fully integrated within the software, so you need to set them up each separately. Don't have the "one TM for both language directions" feature? You can always install a prosthesis i.e. AnyTM, which actually is just a plugin that creates ANOTHER TM. Pro-sthe-sis that's what it is.
Your TM doesn't record document info? Install Record SourceTU plugin, which you must then select as yet ANOTHER translation provider, of course if you don't forget to do it, because then... well... it's too late.
Do you want to review your 50,000 big mama TM to review the latest added TUs? No problem, but prepare to click yourself to death, because Trados only shows 200 TUs at a time, always starting from the oldest ones. So, approximately 250 clicks and you're home.
My rant could go on and on, but I'd rather go and take some fresh air

[Edited at 2018-04-15 11:09 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Filter Apr 16

Wojciech_ wrote:


Do you want to review your 50,000 big mama TM to review the latest added TUs? No problem, but prepare to click yourself to death, because Trados only shows 200 TUs at a time, always starting from the oldest ones. So, approximately 250 clicks and you're home.
My rant could go on and on, but I'd rather go and take some fresh air

[Edited at 2018-04-15 11:09 GMT]


I agree it is irritating not to be able to scroll efficiently in the TM-view, but practically it is hardly needed. When I look at my Wordfast TM (at least 400 000) entries, I use Notepad++ and the Find-function to look at certain entries. The same is possible in Studio using a filter.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 18:00
English to Polish
+ ...
My point exactly Apr 16

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Wojciech_ wrote:


Do you want to review your 50,000 big mama TM to review the latest added TUs? No problem, but prepare to click yourself to death, because Trados only shows 200 TUs at a time, always starting from the oldest ones. So, approximately 250 clicks and you're home.
My rant could go on and on, but I'd rather go and take some fresh air

[Edited at 2018-04-15 11:09 GMT]


I agree it is irritating not to be able to scroll efficiently in the TM-view, but practically it is hardly needed. When I look at my Wordfast TM (at least 400 000) entries, I use Notepad++ and the Find-function to look at certain entries. The same is possible in Studio using a filter.


Which only proves that Studio is counter-intuitive, because instead of typical scrolling to the end of the TM you must click your way through to determine which TUs you want to see. The same goes for deleting TUs. First you need to "mark them for deletion" and then perform the process. Not to mention that until recently you couldn't scroll through your terms in Multiterm with a slider and even now the solution is somewhat peculiar...

[Edited at 2018-04-16 19:31 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which term base is Studio adding terms to?

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search