Pre-translate using RegEx like with Memoq
Thread poster: johnsmith123

johnsmith123
United Kingdom
New user
Apr 25

Hi guys,

In memoQ at the moment we use pre-translate rules in RegEx. We have a few templates set up so that depending on what matches the source text is copied directly over to the target text and then that segment is locked or a translation is done and stored in the target text and then that segment is locked. It's only for simple stuff, but it does save time overall and it's worked out great so far.

I was wondering if the same can be done with Studio 2017? I would be nice to apply RegEx rules at project creation stage, fill in the translated segment and lock it. If not at project creation stage, is there a way to do this after the project is created? I realise I can use Find and Replace with RegEx, but there's a lot more hassle in doing this.

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

IanDhu  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:22
Member (2005)
French to English

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

Regex needs proper documentation in Studio Apr 25

If I knew which dialect of Regex Studio used, and had clear. simple instructions for the functions I need, Iwould get far more mileage out this capability. SDL currently confines itself to referring the user to a somewhat abstruse third-party website.

I wonder if others feel similarly hamstrung?

Regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - translator 41189).

Anthony Rudd

Regexes in SDL Apr 25

SDL regexes are based on the .NET flavour

Anthony Rudd

Importing a tagged file Apr 26

It is somewhat hidden.
Project settings > File types > Text > Inline Tags > Add Rule

The added rule is a regex.

johnsmith123
United Kingdom
New user
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, what about docx? Apr 30

asr2 wrote:

It is somewhat hidden.
Project settings > File types > Text > Inline Tags > Add Rule

The added rule is a regex.

Thank you very much for this. However that would only apply to .txt, it wouldn't allow for files such as .docx. I don't suppose that's hiding away somewhere is it?

Anthony Rudd

Tagging text May 2

One indirect way of tagging items in Word is to assign such items a Word style which can be excluded from translation (=tag).

Project settings -> File types -> Word -> Styles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-translate using RegEx like with Memoq

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search