Studio 2017 Starter edition - pros and cons?
Thread poster: Elif Baykara Narbay

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 11:25
German to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 28

Hello,

I am basically a memoQ user, but I am also able to use other CAT tools such as Studio, Across, Memsource or Smartcat.

Frankly, I am quite happy with the memoQ. However, I have a couple of important clients who explicitly require me to use Studio for their projects.

I am aware that I can work on Studio packages or file formats from other CAT tools on memoQ. And actually, I am doing this for a couple of years now. But these clients have their own systems in place and I decided to buy a Studio license.

Since Studio will not be my main CAT tool, I am considering to buy a subscription to the Studio 2017 Starter edition.

Now, I am trying to understand the pros and cons from a freelance translator's point of view. I will work on sdlxliff files in two language combinations (EN-TR and DE-TR) and occasionally packages of large volume projects.

I would appreciate any contributions from actual users and/or from those who have had experience with this edition.

Thank you,
Elif

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please check the online comparison Apr 28

Dear Elif

I'm user of the freelance version. I've just checked online a comparison to the starter version. You can check it here https://www.sdl.com/software-and-services/translation-software/sdl-trados-studio/editions.html

As you might see, there is a limitation to 5000 translation units for a translation memory, but if you receive packages, it is unlimited. The starter version works with only one translation memory at a time, take that into account. I'm used to work with a couple of translation memories simultaneously, what about you? Does it bother you? (Remember that you already have other tools, thus perphaps to work with only one TM is not a big issue.
There are two valuable features missing from the freelance version: 1) update TM from target file. I really enjoy this function after my client sends me the updated file with his or her review. 2) You cannot create/edit a termbase, thus you will have to use a termbase provided by someone else. I would like to think that you can add terms to your termbase while translating. But I'm not sure about it. I guess you can.

I would suggest you to start with the starter edition, and if you find that it has many limitations, then upgrade to the freelance version.

By the way, I see at your profile that you live in Antalya... I will be there in June, for a week. Belki bir kahve içebiliriz! Görüşürüz!

Clarisa Moraña

[Edited at 2018-04-28 20:35 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 11:25
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hola Clarisa! Apr 29

Thank you for the insight!

I have checked the online comparison and I have a basic understanding of the topic. I admit that I am still a basic user. But I guess that TM updates etc. can be performed external to Studio, using third-party software. Anyway, I will not need most of the features.

What I need is basically a Studio version that

- is able to receive and send translation project packages containing multiple files, TMs and termbases
- allows me to create single-file projects with one TM
- allows me to perform reviews

For all the other work involving multiple TMs and other features, I will continue to use memoQ.

One thing that bothers me though is that the Starter version does not provide a support service. I need to prepare a list of such questions to ask the SDL staff before buying the subscription. One thing is for sure: I need to get a Studio. What I am trying to do is to avoid paying for millions of feature which I will never use icon_smile.gif

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

By the way, I see at your profile that you live in Antalya... I will be there in June, for a week. Belki bir kahve içebiliriz! Görüşürüz!

I would love to meet you over a coffee! Are you coming to Antalya City or to one of the sub-provinces? I am living in Kaş, about 4 hours west to the center. But I occasionally drive to center. Please let me know when you know your schedule and I may also create an opportunity icon_smile.gif
Let's keep in touch!
Hasta luego!

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, yes, and yes! May 2

Elif Baykara wrote:

- is able to receive and send translation project packages containing multiple files, TMs and termbases
- allows me to create single-file projects with one TM
- allows me to perform reviews

Yes,
yes, and
yes.

I would love to meet you over a coffee! Are you coming to Antalya City or to one of the sub-provinces? I am living in Kaş, about 4 hours west to the center. But I occasionally drive to center. Please let me know when you know your schedule and I may also create an opportunity icon_smile.gif
Let's keep in touch!
Hasta luego!

I will be at Antalya City. But I-m planning to visit other cities, such as Mardin. I'm planning to go there by bus from Istanbul, not by plane. I will write you about my plans.

Kind regards

Clarisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 Starter edition - pros and cons?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search