SDL Studio 2019 is coming soon
Thread poster: Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:49
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
May 1

[Cough] completely failed to spot this thread, but I shall leave this here anyway, as it details what SDL itself considers to be worth mentioning.

Some details here:
https://www.sdltrados.com/landing/translator/studio-2019-is-coming-soon.html
There is a blog post also, but I cannot access it for some reason.
The preview brochure is a bit underwhelming. Improvements would seem to be minor. There are six headings, namely:

"Experience clear guidance on-demand" (relates to on-demand learning environment, probably not useful for experienced users);
"A simpler route to finding out more" (better help - ditto);
"Faster project creation with the new project wizard" (if it improves Studio's perplexing approach to adding files and perhaps resolves the - to users - artificial distinction between single file and multi-file projects, that would be positive);
"Higher quality with confidence and control" (better QA - if true, positive);
"MultiTerm 2019" (any improvements welcome - infinite scroll at last! How many years or even decades did that take?!);
"SDL AppStore" (not sure how this counts as new or notable?)

On the face of it, nothing too exciting. On the other hand, I have myself criticised SDL in the past for failing to fix the many small irritations that affect experienced daily users of the product. Maybe this time there appear to be few major improvements because SDL has been smoothing off the sharp edges? If so, that would be a truly welcome development, but as there has been precious little sign of that I am not optimistic. Let's reserve further judgement until we have had a play.

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2018-05-01 07:13 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 3

Wojciech_
Poland
Local time: 07:49
English to Polish
+ ...
Not worth it May 1

If it's all they propose in this iteration, then this one will definitely be the one I'll skip.
What about the Word-based preview that while refreshing (especially when translating a pdf) makes your cursor keep jumping from the translation box to the preview window? Annoying!
There are dozens of such glitches that make Studio, otherwise a potentially useful tool, a pain in the neck.

Like 7

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same here. May 1

Wojciech_ wrote:

If it's all they propose in this iteration, then this one will definitely be the one I'll skip.
What about the Word-based preview that while refreshing (especially when translating a pdf) makes your cursor keep jumping from the translation box to the preview window? Annoying!
There are dozens of such glitches that make Studio, otherwise a potentially useful tool, a pain in the neck.

I just went to https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/ and added up the money I've spent on Studio over the past few years* and have had enough. I don't even translate with it (I use Memsource), but like to keep it up to date for those clients that demand it (which is ridiculous and stupid of course, but the way of our world).

Indeed, the stupid program doesn't even have a functioning document previewer anymore and crashes every time you look at it!

* I have spent £1,166.53 in total (!!!) on Studio, between 2016 and 2017!

1. £547.35: SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance Plus + SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-On (29-Mar-2016)
2. £147.60: Upgrade from SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance Plus to SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance Plus (18-Aug-2016)
3. £168.51: PSMA Level 2 Desktop - Premium Software Maintenance Agreement - 1 Year (22-Aug-2016)
4. £303.07: PSMA Level 1 Desktop - Premium Software Maintenance Agreement - 1 Year (04-Oct-2017)

£147.60
£547.35
£168.51
£303.07
---------+
TOTAL: £1,166.53

[Edited at 2018-05-01 10:52 GMT]

Like 18

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Same here, too May 1

I agree - unless I see some serious improvements that actually matter (above all: reliable main functions like term recognition, and overall responsiveness). I'm not impressed at all.

[Rant: I sincerely wish I could muster the energy to switch to another product - I've actually started a new round of checking alternatives, trying out WFP5 right now, which seems to be more similar to Studio than CafeTran (which to me feels like having to ride a bike with my hands crossed over on the handlebar).

I guess this is part of their business model. I can imagine that there are a lot of other people who feel like I do and have gotten so used to this extremely buggy piece of bloatware by investing so much time to learn its ways that they are having a hard time switching to an alternative product. This way, SDL needn't care about their existing user base, they just have to attract new customers and hope that they fall into this pit as well Rant over.]

Like 5

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
have you tried the Memsource Desktop Editor yet? May 1

[quote]Erik Freitag wrote:

I agree - unless I see some serious improvements that actually matter (above all: reliable main functions like term recognition, and overall responsiveness). I'm not impressed at all.

I sincerely wish I could muster the energy to switch to another product - I've actually started a new round of checking alternatives, trying out WFP5 right now, which seems to be more similar to Studio than CafeTran (which to me feels like having to ride a bike with my hands crossed over on the handlebar).

I guess this is part of their business model. I can imagine that there are a lot of other people who feel like I do and have gotten so used to this extremely buggy piece of bloatware by investing so much time to learn its ways that they are having a hard time switching to an alternative product. This way, SDL needn't care about their existing user base, they just have to attract new customers and hope that they fall into this pit as well Rant over.]

Hi Erik,

Many people seem to dislike it as they associate it with agencies, but I am currently a big fan of the Memsource desktop editor, which has an amazing layout (basically a clone of the memoQ UI layout), but is very responsive. Plus, you can connect to huge TMs/TBs. It also has a great previewer, which actually works. Only thing it is lacking is auto-complete, but to be honest, I don't mind much as it's such a pleasure to use after working with Studio/memoQ.

Michael

Like 11

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Please do not stray from the topic May 1

Hi all,

This topic is about SDL Studio 2019; if you would like to discuss specifically other CAT tools, please use an appropriate forum.

Thank you

Like 9

Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
English to French
SDL Studio 2019 is coming soon May 4

I have been using Trados nearly since the beginning (last I remember was 5.5 but I might have been using a 2.3? in 2000) and using 2017 now.
Overall, I am quite happy with it, their uplift Fragment recall feature is fantastic and an easy way to integrate fragments in your translation and populate your termbase.
The different plugings available from the Appstore provides many features that Trados is lacking, but then it is a way to pick what you need and leave out the options that you are not using, and make it all worthwhile.

Yes, it is an expensive piece of software but just work on a few contracts and you get your money back. Upgrade from 2017 is 160€.

Nice improvements I would like to see though are:
To be able to sort out segments according to different criteria (text lenght and the very useful Sort by match rate) as in memoQ.
Improve the alignment tool that is ridiculous compared to Abby aligner
The QA tool also need improvements, too many settings to go through every time a project is created. Why two separate profiles for QA checker and Terminology Verifier. Why not create a unique profile that could be used by default, and overriden by any profile a client that integrate in the package they are sending?
Just a few suggestions

[Edited at 2018-05-04 00:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-04 00:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-04 00:39 GMT]

Like 6

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agencies are key May 4

As long as SDL keeps agencies to have their "ressources" buy Studio, nothing will happen. For the PMs it doesn´t matter, how glitchy Studio is, just because PMs don´t need to translate with it. As with all CATs, most important feature of Studio for agencies still seems to be the analysis feature, where they can determine the amount of discount. I´m often astonished, how less PMs know about the translation features itself of Studio (and their glitches). Therefore a good selling position for SDL. Congratulations!

Like 12

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:49
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
PMs don't care May 4

It's not only that PMs don't translate. They don't even prepare the files and projects before they send them out to translators. They don't even do their job, yet they take a slice of the payment. Most times they are an unnecessary middle person, and in the worst case they sabotage and obstruct the translator's work.

It comes naturally, then, that many PMs have no clue about CAT tools. That's, I believe, one of the reasons why their companies won't look beyond Trados: someone will need to convert all those resources they have compiled over the years (TMs and TBs and whatnot), and they simply lack the expertise to do it.

[Edited at 2018-05-04 08:43 GMT]

Like 11

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Let's not tar all agencies/PMs with the same brush May 4

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
It's not only that PMs don't translate. They don't even prepare the files and projects before they send them out to translators. They don't even do their job, yet they take a slice of the payment.

There are badly managed companies in all industries. The barriers to entry in translation are very low, so naturally we see a lot of these incompetent firms. But we need not work with such agencies - I don't. Good agencies do prepare the files and projects, and I am grateful for the work they do on the material before it gets to me, and for the careful checking they do after the fact. Not all agencies are the same.

Matthias Brombach wrote:
As long as SDL keeps agencies to have their "ressources" buy Studio, nothing will happen. For the PMs it doesn´t matter, how glitchy Studio is, just because PMs don´t need to translate with it.

First, I don't believe SDL has the power to make agencies to anything against their will. They do not control the market. If they did, how is it that we have seen the rise of competitors to SDL such as MemoQ and Memsource? If agencies are buying SDL tools, it's because they think they will find some kind value there. That doesn't mean that they're right, but it is logical.

Second, in decent agencies - see above - the project managers absolutely do care about how the tool is used and whether translators are reluctant to use it or not. Anything that makes it more difficult to hire translators for a job, or anything that slows them down, is going to negatively affect productivity, product turnaround and probably quality as well. Competent PMs care about that. PMs that are not very good at their job do not. My advice would be not to deal with the latter.

To get back (more or less) on topic, I guess what we can do is comment that we find certain tools difficult to use. But surely, don't freelancers make that quite obvious? If I'm given a choice between Transit NXT and Studio, for example, I'm going to go for the latter, and I will make that preference known to the project manager.

I think the best thing we can do is all sign up for SDL's own forum and actively agitate for changes to the things that they referred to in one post as "irritations at worst" (!).

Regards,
Dan

Like 7

Angela Rimmer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
"SDL Studio 2019 is coming soon" May 4

MASSIVE eye-roll to that!

Like 10

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:49
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
There are knowledgeable PMs May 4

Of course not all translation companies are the same and there are knowledgeable PMs, who actually know our profession and are not simply saboteurs.

But let me not deviate any more from the topic of this discussion. I just wanted to rectify my sweeping generalisation.

Like 5

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
WINTER IS COMING! May 4

Here's a marketing idea for the SDL guys: hire Sean Bean and have him shout "SDL STUDIO 2019 IS COMING!" out loud while dressed as Ned Stark.

@Dan Lucas, you wrote "They do not control the market". Well, try to run a search for CAT tools market shares. I did not find any recent (last 2-3 years) survey, but everything I've seen and read suggests that the VAST MAJORITY of the market is "owned" by SDL... so they do "control" the market, in a way...

Furthermore, when I see a lowballer job post here on ProZ, very often Trados is THE "required CAT tool". This may be purely coincidental of course, but still...

Like 3

United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Control is hard when there are credible competitors May 4

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
@Dan Lucas, you wrote "They do not control the market". Well, try to run a search for CAT tools market shares. I did not find any recent (last 2-3 years) survey, but everything I've seen and read suggests that the VAST MAJORITY of the market is "owned" by SDL... so they do "control" the market, in a way...

I wouldn't disagree agree that SDL has been the dominant player, especially in Japan, but that doesn't mean SDL can dictate to or control the market. There are dozens of competitors and at least two relatively new ones - mentioned above - are thriving and seem to be taking market share. Twice in as many months I have had Japanese clients ask me to use Memsource. It's only anecdotal evidence, but that still surprises me.

Personally, I don't think SDL is complacent. I think their executive team has a big, top-down, 5-year plan for the entire product portfolio (not just Studio). I think there is not enough flexibility in that plan to allow for development resources to fix issues that managers consider to be minor but that freelancers consider to be significant irritations. Plans like this look great to investors, but they do not result in products that are supported passionately by users. Because there is minimal loyalty, eventually enough users will jump ship to make a management sit up and take notice. That may take a while.

Dan

Like 3

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2019 is coming soon

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search