Thread poster: Annett Roessner

Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:26
Member (2017)
English to German
May 11

Hi all,

I can't work out how to type German Umlaute in Trados for the life of it.

I use an English keyboard and know how to set up shortcuts for Umlaute in Word but no luck in Trados.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Annett

Anita Cassidy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to German
German keyboard layout May 11

I switch to the German keyboard layout (and also use a German keyboard, but that's not essential).

In Windows 10, it's Start Button, Settings, Time & Language, Region & Language, ... and then you can "add another language", which should then appear as a toggle option in the right-hand bottom corner of your screen.
Hope this works for you!

Daniel Frisano
Switzerland
Local time: 23:26
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use codes May 11

1. Press and hold down the ALT key.
2. Type 0 2 2 8 on numeric keypad.
3. Release the ALT key: ä magically appears.

Type 0246 for ö, 0252 for ü and 0223 for ß.

Uppercase: 0196 for Ä, 0214 for Ö and 0220 for Ü.

And if it seems daunting, it's just 5 keystrokes instead of 3 or 4 you'd use with other keyboard layouts.

(N.B.: in Windows)

[Edited at 2018-05-11 18:37 GMT]

lprd027
Local time: 09:26
German to English
+ ...
US-International keyboard layout May 14

Hi Annett,

I have a suggestion (along lines similar to what Anita suggested above) that does not require a German keyboard. This means that you can generate accented characters with a standard US keyboard layout. This is how you do it:

As Anita suggests, you start by adding the German language to your Windows 10 configuration. The keyboard layout you need to select is called United States - International.

Then you switch languages by toggling options on the bottom right of your screen. After you have added German, you should be able to switch from ENG to DEU and back again. You can do this quickly by pressing the Windows key + SPACE.

Once you have selected DEU, you generate accented characters by over-typing as follows:

" + a = ä
" + A = Ä
" + o = ö
" + O = Ö
" + u = ü
" + U = Ü
RHALT + s = ß (RHALT is the ALT key on the right-hand side of the keyboard)

When you need to generate an explicit " character you just hit SPACE after the ". This is quite intuitive after you get accustomed to it. Incidentally, this technique works in any language, e.g. French, that uses accented characters.

Furthermore, since this method is configured at the keyboard driver level, it works in every Windows application, including Microsoft Word and Trados, of course. Consequently, there is no need for application-specific key-strokes.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Lars Peter

[Edited at 2018-05-14 02:54 GMT]

Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:26
Member (2017)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
International keyboard is fantastic May 14

Thank you everybody for posting. JI actually remembered that I set up the US-International keyboard a while ago. I just forgot how to use it. A special thanks to Lars for the tip with the space bar.

Working in Trados is so much quicker now.

Best regards

Annett

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't type Umlaute in SDL Trados 2017

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search