Terminology Management: Trados and Russian (or other highly-inflected languages)
Thread poster: Zosia Niedermaier-Reed

Zosia Niedermaier-Reed
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 12

Hi all,

Not sure if I am posting this in the right forum. I am a Masters student (in Translation) and am writing an essay on terminology in CAT tools, namely how to enable a termbase to identify inflected terms when translating from Russian to English.

I was wondering how inflected terms were dealt with in a professional environment, and I am particularly interested in how they are dealt with in Trados. Some questions:

When adding a term to the termbase, does the terminologist (or whoever adds the term) add all possible inflections of the term?
Do company termbases contain all possible inflections of a term?

Generally any other ideas/knowledge that anyone has on the topic of using a termbase when translating FROM highly-inflected languages into English (or any other less highly-inflected languages) would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Zosia

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:18
English to Russian
genitive case May 14

Hi Zosia,
Among other methods that may be proposed by others, I prefer to add a term in genitive case (родительный падеж). It often matches some other grammatical cases and this makes it the most frequently used form. I don’t think adding all forms is a good idea. There may be 2 to 12 terms in a segment. Multiply them by 6 cases, plus 6 more cases for plural… In genitive case, it takes to correct 1 or 2 letters (ending) to get the needed case.

What regards ‘terminologists’ (LSPs), usually they just import terms from what was given by their client or use nominative case just because nominative case is traditional (but not always efficient) and for avoidance of ambiguity. LSPs normally prefer to leave all editing work for linguists, not for themselves (which is actually just). They don’t much care about translator’s tricks or techniques.

For example: Russian word ‘испытаниЕ’ (= test) is nominative, singular. As a linguist, I would add it to my termbase in the form of ‘испытаниЯ’ which may be both nominative plural and genitive singular (this is what I meant by ambiguity above).
Adding or replacing just 1 letter (adding ‘-х’, ‘-м’ or replacing ‘-я’ with ’-й’) would change case and singular/plural form as need be. Therefore, adding terms in genitive case is the most effort-efficient method for me.

Setting the ‘Minimum match value %’ parameter to 70% ensures relevant term recognition.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Just the ground form May 14

Generally the software is not able to recognize even the basic forms perfectly. In a German source I often get "recognition" of words that look partly like another word of different meaning.

You mean the software would suggest already the right case for the target text? Then you should turn to MT.
In Finnish a none could have tens of thousands of different endings. The software should then know how to reconstruct the meaning. Not from a list of words but from the set of rules.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology Management: Trados and Russian (or other highly-inflected languages)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search