Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 14:11
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
May 16

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help or give direction for this. I use Trados 2015.

I have a client who is likely to have more of this kind of content with variables and placeholders. I have checked the available options of Regex and using variables. But I couldn't make them work.

The file comes in XML and Any XML picks it up. But I would need the solution for Excel file as well (I could not make the Excel option work either. Saw https://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/08/21/embedded_content_excel/ )

I tried to modify Embedded Content Processing etc. Maybe I am looking at this from wrong perspective.

Below is an excerpt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It would be great time saver as I am copying the source to the target and moving the variable around by copy-paste.

Thank you

If you understand this and would still like to proceed with %1% choice, click the "{:sidSGAllowExecutionButton:}" button below.[n:15]If the object(s) were previously removed by {:sidMainCaption:}

Please click the "%2%" button to have {:sidMainCaption:} close all %1% windows.[n]To skip scanning %1% cookies, click the "{:sidSkip:}" button.

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:11
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're in the right track May 16

You just have to write the regex you need. Try with this simple one:

To catch %...% try %[^\s]+%
To catch {...} try \{[^\s]+\}
To catch [...] try \[[^\s]+\]

Or you could just put them together, like so:
%[^\s]+%|\{[^\s]+\}|\[[^\s]+\]

Be careful though. These are so basic that they may catch strings that need to be translated.

I normally use this site to test my regex: https://regexr.com/

Good luck!

Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 14:11
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
will look into this May 16

Hi Jaime,

Thank you for the invaluable information. I will try these.

I believe these should go to Embedded Content Processing section. I tried both XML and Excel version. I will try these if they catch those variables.

Kind regards

Hakan Kiyici

Jaime Oriard wrote:

You just have to write the regex you need. Try with this simple one:

To catch %...% try %[^\s]+%
To catch {...} try \{[^\s]+\}
To catch
try \[[^\s]+\]

Or you could just put them together, like so:
%[^\s]+%|\{[^\s]+\}|\[[^\s]+\]

Be careful though. These are so basic that they may catch strings that need to be translated.

I normally use this site to test my regex: https://regexr.com/

Good luck! [/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Regex, variables in XML and Excel files

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search