Multiterm claims 3 MB termbase is empty
Thread poster: Remy van Tol

Remy van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:02
Member (2013)
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 19, 2018

I have a 3 MB termbase, which worked until recently, but Multiterm 2017 claims it is empty now. Multiterm, clean installation, latest SP.

I have 2 versions of the termbase.

1) A version with the .MTF files having 0 bytes. I can open it in Multiterm 2017, but no records shown. Export to XML also say there are no records.

2) A version where the .MTF files do have data (from a backup I had somewhere). Multiterm 2017 claims it was made by an unsupported version of Multiterm. Multiterm 2009 and 2014 can open the file, but again claim no records exists.

I have tried an SDL plugin to repair the termbase, nothing. There was a Wordfast tool to convert SDLTB files, but nothing.
I also tried to delete all files, except the SDLTB file in the hope it would recreate the others files and open correctly, but to no avail.

So, I am stuck with an "empty" 3 MB Multiterm file.

How can I recuperate the data? Is there another program I can open an SDLTB file with?

Thanks for the help!

Remy


 

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:02
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use MS Access May 19, 2018

SDLTBs are in fact Microsoft Access databases. Change the file extension and open in Access. It might tell you that the database is damaged and it will repair it. After the automatic repair, change the file extension back and open in Multiterm. It should work as normal again.

Hope this helps.


 

Remy van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:02
Member (2013)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I could use Access to open the file, but.... May 19, 2018

Jaime Oriard wrote:

SDLTBs are in fact Microsoft Access databases. Change the file extension and open in Access. It might tell you that the database is damaged and it will repair it. After the automatic repair, change the file extension back and open in Multiterm. It should work as normal again.

Hope this helps.


Yes, I managed to open the file in Access. Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately the language tables are empty. I have no idea how that happened. I do see the search strings, so I just assume Trados messed up my termbase, which would not be very surprising because Trados more than often has weird behaviours.

Thanks anyway!

Cheers,
Remy


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm claims 3 MB termbase is empty

Advanced search







Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Your current localization setting

English

Select a language

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search