Error message in Trados 2011 "File cannot be created if it already exists" after Windows update
Thread poster: Regina Freitag

Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:27
English to German
+ ...
May 29

Dear colleagues,

I'm working on two urgent projects and this is exactly the perfect time for this to happen, arrrgh!

I'm not sure actually, if there is a connection between the Windows update and this error ("File cannot be created if it already exists"), but when I now try to save my files in Trados, they are not saved and this error message appears. Deleting my temporary files didn't help, and when I deleted everything but the TM in the project folder on my computer as well as the project in Trados, opened the original project package again and added the TM, the segments were filled automatically (yayyy!), but the same error message appeared when I tried to save it.

This seems to be the case with all projects in Trados, and in my two current projects, I saved the files before and it worked fine. But now I can't save anything and therefore I'm unable to create a return package.

For now, I worked around the problem by saving a copy and thereby creating a xliff document. When I opened this to check if everything was saved, it was, and the project file was created. I also checked if it was possible to save a target file from there and this worked too. As it was no package however, I couldn't create a return package, which I luckily don't need necessarily for this job. I'm so relieved that this at least worked, but I really should get Trados working again, so I can create return packages.

Could anyone give me some advice on this?
Thanks a lot!

Kind regards, Reginaicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2018-05-29 03:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-29 03:40 GMT]

Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:27
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
found a solution! May 30

Okay, I found a solution for that. The problem seems to be that in the project folder, that is automatically created when opening the project package, in the sub folder De-DE (it was a translation from English to German), there is the xliff document, which seems to be in the way.
So I moved this document in a different folder, so that the folder De-DE was empty. Then I could save the file and create the return package.icon_smile.gif
I have no idea why this problem exists in the first place however, I have no other explanation than the Windows update. Strange.

I hope this helps if some of you have the same problem.

Kind regards,
Reginaicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message in Trados 2011 "File cannot be created if it already exists" after Windows update

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search