Trados 2017 saving target problem (NOTHING YET WORKS)
Thread poster: BarthelemyG

Local time: 14:44
Polish to French
+ ...
Jun 3

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 2017 in Polish and I have a serious trouble saving to the target XLSX file. The problem is : Failed to save target content: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." System Windows10 PL, Office 2010.

Solutions I've already tried :
- Updating SDL Trados
- Reinstalling MS Office
- Cleaning all tag problems
- Creating a new project and re-translating using the previous as a TM

Nothing works, and I have a 50+ pages project due on Monday 4th... Please help!


Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:44
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Comments Jun 3

Are there any comments in the SDLXLIFF file?



Local time: 14:44
Polish to French
+ ...
Nope... Jun 3

No, there's no comments in the file.


Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Downgrade Jun 3

Have you tried saving the source xlsx as an xls? Usually this works fwith Object ref not set... error messages.


Haneder  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:44
German to French
+ ...
Tag problems? Jun 3

I had this error once but fortunately this was not with saving the whole file but with confirming a specific tag, one segment in the target text was messing with every thing.
I ended up delivering with that specific segment unconfirmed and it seemed that the agency did not have a problem confirming it.
Do you have 100% of your target translation confirming or do you have 1-2 segment that you cannot manually confirm because or tags or messed macros?


Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Always make a round-trip first Jun 3

What happens when you create a new project, import the file, copy source to target and try to export it? That's the first basic step to know if it's the file that has issues or if the problem is somewhere else.

If the file has no complicated formats, I'd suggest saving the .xlsx as an .xls, creating a new project and pretranslating it with the TM you already have populated.


Local time: 14:44
Polish to French
+ ...
Success... at last. Jun 3

The source couldn't be downgraded do XLS because it contains some functions available only starting from Office 2007. I finally managed to generate the target file after deleting a bunch of data...


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2017 saving target problem (NOTHING YET WORKS)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search