Studio 2011 target doc doesn't open - problem with content, unspecified error ... Line 3552, column
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 7

I've tried everything I know here, downgrading the doc from Microsoft Word to Word 97-2003, even completely changing the name of the document, but when I try to open it in Word, this error message comes up.

I don't know what the "Line: 3552, column 0" is all about, because there aren't even as many as 3,000 segments in this one.

It can't be a general Studio fault because everything else is normal, and I'm translating another doc with the same TM, and no problem at all there.

[Edited at 2018-06-07 10:12 GMT]

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Maybe you need to... Jun 7

Maybe you need to convert the source text to the simple TXT format and start translating again from scratch. All formatting, images etc. will be lost but you may win because of using the existing memory entries. Reformatting the translation to the previous DOC (or whatever) format will be relatively simple.

HTH
AM

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:09
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not easy... Jun 7

You need to open the source file in a text editor, like Notepad++, find the line 3552 and see if there are strange characters to fix or delete... good luck!

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other formats Jun 7

Thanks, Andrzej and Giovanni.

I've been experimenting with format changes, but it won't give me any "Open in (Notebook) ..." options when I right-click on it. I have a feeling it's refusing simply because there's so much format - one of those reports with boxes and bits of text everywhere around the main body of text.

Every so often you get a dud file, who knows. For all I know the original was in PowerPoint converted to pdf, and then to Word.

But I always check the target file in Studio just in case after every session, just in case. Obviously I'd be more annoyed if this had happened at the end of an 8K translation rather than after only about 1K. Meanwhile, I'm doing the other file in the project in Studio with no problems, and if there's nothing to be done I'll just copy and paste the stuff in manually in the other one, and then continue manually.

Gruffydd
United States
Local time: 15:09
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's an XML issue Jun 7

Word documents are essentially XML documents (a number of them bundled into a single file with the extension .docx, since Office 2007). Not clear what your problem is about. I may be able to help you, but please elaborate. One tip: don't use .doc files, always convert them to .docx files before working in SDL Trados Studio. Thanks.

[Edited at 2018-06-07 14:22 GMT]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XML Jun 7

Hi Gruffydd,

A box comes up saying there's a content error.

When I click on Details in that box (or Detalles, rather - all this comes in Spanish here), it then says:

Which means nothing to me. Does it mean anything to you?

And I saw your Edit, but this is already docx, not doc, so that's not the issue.

[Edited at 2018-06-07 14:29 GMT]

Gruffydd
United States
Local time: 15:09
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
An XML file, exactly Jun 8

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Hi Gruffydd,

A box comes up saying there's a content error.

When I click on Details in that box (or Detalles, rather - all this comes in Spanish here), it then says:

Which means nothing to me. Does it mean anything to you?

And I saw your Edit, but this is already docx, not doc, so that's not the issue.

[Edited at 2018-06-07 14:29 GMT]

Mervin, that's right. Like I said, the problem is within an XML file (in this particular case, document.xml). Are you a techie? If not, and your document is not confidential, I could fix it for you. No obligation.
Regards,

G

[Edited at 2018-06-08 00:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 target doc doesn't open - problem with content, unspecified error ... Line 3552, column

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search