Trados 2017 error This file was created without using a file type definition.
Thread poster: Jolanda Admiraal

Jolanda Admiraal  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
Jun 7

I received two word files for bilingual review. Customer wants detailed info on any changes so I created an align project, checked the text, saved it as an sdlxliff file and worked on that file in Trados to make my changes and add my comments.

Now that the file is done, I can't create a new target file... How do I add this 'definition'. So far the help function doesn't give me any clues, neither do online searches or the online community. And the SDL website still (after YEARS of having the same issue) won't let me check my psma or buy a new one, so I'm stuck. And of course I had to deliver two hours ago already. Can anybody point me in the right direction. What am I overlooking here?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My understanding... Jun 8

Jolanda Admiraal wrote:
I created an align project, checked the text, saved it as an sdlxliff file and worked on that file in Trados to make my changes and add my comments.

As far as I understand it... (but please correct me)...

When an SDLXLIFF file is generated from an original source file (e.g. a DOCX file), the SDLXLIFF file can later be converted back into a final, translated file in that original format. However, not all SDLXLIFF files are created from an origin file, i.e. some SDLXLIFF files exist in the SDLXLIFF format purely for convenience.

My understanding is that that is what happens when an alignment is saved as an SDLXLIFF file. The *only* reason why you can save an alignment as an SDLXLIFF file is so that you can run QA checks on it and fix errors in it before you convert the SDLXLIFF file to a TM.

You could almost think of that SDLXLIFF file as a "fake" SDLXLIFF file, because you can't use it to generate a final, translated file in the original format.

You're going to have to open the client's one file in MS Word and then manually perform all the edits that you did in Trados. I know of no way to transfer tracked edits and comments from within a Trados project into a source outside of Trados, or even into a file within another Trados project.

Another thing you can do is to ask the client if it would be okay to send two files -- one target file in the original format, with all changes already implemented, and one "table" file that shows the edits and comments. If so, then you can try to create a "bilingual review" file from your SDLXLIFF file. This should hopefully show the edits and comments in the target column. You should be able to create the target file in the original format by creating a new TM, adding your edited SDLXLIFF file to it, and then "translating" the client's original source file against that TM.

I can't think off the top of my head how you would be able to create a target file in the original format that shows tracked changes.

Jolanda Admiraal  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Samuel Murray Jun 9

Hello,

Thank you for the response. I have indeed found out that although the possibilities are nice, they can NOT be combined and I've had to find a 'way around' the issue. Thankfully the files have been delivered now, and SDL has gotten a piece of my mind with regard to their tooling not performing - without any warning or notice that things that they offer in their program, will not work.

I'm not saying I could have been smarter about this. I've learned yet another lessonicon_smile.gif. Trying to do it 'quicker' as usual ended up in having to do much more.
Thanks again for taking the time for your response.

[Edited at 2018-06-09 10:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2017 error This file was created without using a file type definition.

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search