Thread poster: Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:06
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Jun 12

I have Studio 2017 and can't disable tag protection.

Please don't tell me Edit View, Click on Advanced, the Formatting section and click on the lock icon for tag protection … I have been there, done that dozens of times in different projects, and it just does not work. The lock icon remains highlighted and LOCKED, and I can't get rid of the tags.

I think I had this problem with earlier versions of Studio too. There must be something in the Options or settings somewhere that overrides it.

The main problem is tags for word breaks, which I do not want in the translation. Should they prove necessary, which they rarely do, I add them after exporting the target, when I do the final edit.

The only workaround I know is to edit the source document and remove the offending breaks before I start translating, but if it is a large document, this is time consuming. I usually discover the problem halfway through translating.

Of course, I could add a new, edited source file and add what I had already translated from the TM, but I would love to know how to get the official method to work!

Any advice on how to persuade Studio to let me edit the source and delete the tags? I will be most grateful!

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 22:06
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
CodeZapper, Transtools Jun 12

My first suggestion would be editing the source file using those automated "tuning" tools, specially Transtools' "Document Cleaner" part.

An alternative for it would be recreating the Studio project, but this time checking the "Allow source editing" box in the "Project Detail" dialog box.

Saludos.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:06
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias Jun 12

… but source editing is already allowed, and I do it when there are commas, spelling mistakes or other odds and ends in the source, to keep my TMs tidy.

But tags seem to be unassailable!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I disable tag protection?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search