TRADOS ONLY ACCEPTS A MAXIMUM OF 5 LANGUAGES...?!
Thread poster: Marta Bellido Armenteros

Marta Bellido Armenteros  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:34
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 2

Hi everyone,

I am quite frustrated now. I used to work with Wordbee but, after trying the SDL Trados trial, I decided to change CAT tool. Well, with the SDL Trados 2017 trial version, I could use countless languages but now, right after installing my new licence, languages have been limited to 5. I will need to use a sixth one maybe once a month. What can I do? I paid for the whole software, not for five languages... This does not make any sense!

[Edited at 2018-07-02 15:52 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Doesn't make sense, but that's Trados for you Jul 2

I ran into the same limitation, but found out that it's a licence limitation. You can reinstall or "repair" Studio to change the five languages.

It doesn't make sense. There is no such limit in MemoQ, which I much prefer.

But then again there are many things that don't make sense in Studio.

Mirko Mainardi
Omer Dasbilek
Stephanie Mitchel

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Artificial limitation Jul 2

An artificial software limitation, if you ask me.

Only the Professional edition (mostly targeted at PMs/agencies, I think) offers unlimited languages supported at once, as well as the ability to create packages.

Here's the SDL Trados Studio 2017 editions comparison table -
https://www.sdl.com/software-and-services/translation-software/sdl-trados-studio/editions.html

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:34
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Trados will always be Trados Jul 2

The main shortcoming of Trados is that it does not adapt to what professional translators do, but instead expects us to adapt our work to what SDL's software architects came up with and what their developers implemented. This is the exact opposite of what should happen, and we would be much better off if we did away with this arcane tool once and for all. It has caused much pain already. The sooner our industry puts an end to its reign, the better.

Thomas T. Frost
Mirko Mainardi
Jean Dimitriadis
John Fossey
Dmytro Nehrii
Stephanie Mitchel

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The move is clearly CAT tools working in the cloud ... Jul 2

... and I find that worse than Studio, to be honest. So the alternative regrettably isn't actually better. This reminds me of the old faith in removing the old regime for the new one, only the discover that the new regime is even worse than the old one.

Darius Sciuka
Jorge Payan

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:34
English to Italian
Info Jul 3

Hello Marta
I am sorry you feel frustrated about your purchase.

We have 2 main editions.

One for freelancer translators which is at a more affordable price and enables 5 key languages (and the sub-languages) in any combination and the more expensive company edition.
Normally freelance translators find that 5 languages are sufficient as very few individuals translate in more than 2-3 languages. There are of course exceptions.
Currently the process to change the languages requires to run a "repair" installation through the windows control panel.

One for Agencies or companies who prepare files or use the licenses across a pool of translators who would normally need more languages. In this version there is no limit to the languages.

We are always discussing future changes and update to the product and this is on our radar.

We are also creating new products in the cloud - and we launched a number of cloud editing environments. Currently this is dedicated to part-time translators and in that specific product we do have a language limitation.
However it is a very simple environment at this stage.

I know this does not provide you with a resolution, but just wanted to explain the reasoning behind the different versions.

Kind regards
Massi

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
No reason Jul 3

ghislandi wrote:

just wanted to explain the reasoning behind the different versions.

Thanks for the explanation, but you gave no reason for limiting the number of languages to five. How do you know how many languages translators use anyway? And even if the average translator does not use more than five, why do the rest need to be prevented from using more?

To prevent agency use, restricting the creation of packages and other measures ought to be sufficient. Kilgray is not restricting this in MemoQ.

Some languages are very close, such as the three Scandinavian languages, but they still use three language 'slots'. That still leaves space for English and French in my case, but occasionally a very regular client proposes jobs with source languages I know to some extent, for example German and Spanish, but Studio then bans these jobs. They may occasionally send a "mono-lingual" review, asking me to check just the target if I don't understand the source, but the source language still needs to be loaded.

Paying €1800 more to get another version just does not make sense for handling very occasional jobs.

At least I can do it in MemoQ, which I also find more user-friendly.

Having a policy of "we are so terrified that an agency might abuse our freelancer licence that we'll make it partially unusable" while neglecting to stabilise the software *) and deal with user-friendliness does not look like a winning strategy to me. It looks like monopoly mentality.

*) I had an incident where the term match ‘froze’, but support said that since they could not reproduce it, it would be declined by the developers. I had documented the situation with a screenshot. With such a policy, some bugs will be left unsolved, as some bugs only occur under very specific circumstances.

Meta Arkadia
Dmytro Nehrii
Mirko Mainardi

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't think it's onerous Jul 3

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
ghislandi wrote:
I just wanted to explain the reasoning behind the different versions.

Thanks for the explanation, but you gave no reason for limiting the number of languages to five.

Trados wants to make more money off translation companies/agencies than off freelance translators, so there is an agency version (€2500 per user) and a freelancer version (€850 per user).

The agency version offers only a few extras, but the freelancer version is already so powerful that it can be used by agencies as-is. This means that unless the freelancer version is somehow made restricted to make it unsuitable for agencies, most agencies will simply buy the freelancer version.

The restriction chosen by Trados was the number of languages. I suppose they could have chosen other restrictions instead, e.g. limit the number of TMs per project, limit the number of files per project, limit the size of TMs, etc, but of all those potential restrictions, limiting the number of languages is probably the most agencyish and the least freelancerish, so it looks like a good solution.

MemoQ also has a restriction on their freelancer version, compared to their agency version -- in MemoQ, freelancers can't create multilingual projects, whereas the freelancer version of Trados can. Which of these two restrictions do you think would cause fewer agencies to use the non-agency versions of the software -- restricting the number of languages per project, or restricting the number of languages per installation? I think Trados's approach will be more successful than MemoQ's approach in convincing agencies to buy the agency version.

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
To prevent agency use, restricting the creation of packages and other measures ought to be sufficient.

Fewer than half of agencies that send me Trados jobs, send me project packages. And I get the impression that quite a few of those who do send me project packages do not actually create those packages themselves. No, I don't think the use of project packages are so widespread that restricting the agency version only w.r.t. the creation of such packages would be successful in convincing most agencies to buy the agency version.

[Edited at 2018-07-03 11:06 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Still too low Jul 3

Samuel Murray wrote:

The restriction chosen by Trados was the number of languages.

Doesn't change the fact that 5 is way too low. Considering that most agencies list their languages as somewhere in the hundreds, and would probably never admit to there being ANY language combination they couldn't cover, a limit of 10 or 15 should be requally effective in deterring agency use.

The Scandinavian languages have already been mentioned, but there are others. I work from Bosnian, Croatian and Serbian to English. B/C/S>EN is, for all practical purposes, a single language combination - every single translator - every one - who works from one of the three also works from the others. So that's three slots. Then SDL considers the Cyrillic variants of Serbian and Bosnian (Serbian) to be separate languages, so that's 2 more slots. That makes five for what is essentially a single source language, and that's without adding my target language (English) or German (the source language I work from the most)

The only solution I've come up with is try to guess the variants I am least likely to see and to keep those activated on my backup computer.

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
There is a solution: the Studio Professional for comapnies Jul 4

For a long time SDL had just one version of Studio, namely the Pro version as far as I remember, which had no limit on the number of languages. Then they decided to bring in a freelance version that was cheaper for those who only needed a few languages.

So it seems that for you the version directed towards companies would be the one to choose. Regrettably the company version is much more expensive than the freelance version, so most translators are not very happy about that solution.

The question is, of course, if for instance memoQ or Dejavu would be better suited to your purposes. After all they can work very nicely on sdlxliff files, so you are not forced to use Studio. In addition at least Dejavu, and probably also memoQ, does not have the language limitation of Studio.

NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
repair procedure Jul 4

Hi Marta,
As Massimo mentioned, the Repair funtion will solve your problem.
It’s a matter of 2 minutes really (It’s under Control Panel > Programs > Programs and features, select your Trados Studio 201X, and press the Repair button). Then selecting your 5 languages will be probably the most time consuming step.
¡Suerte!

Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 16:34
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
5 and exactly 5 Jul 6

The part that actually annoys me most about it is that you need to choose exactly 5 language pairs every time you install or upgrade Trados. I only need 2, why do I have to pick up random language pairs before I can move on? It's a petty complaint admittedly, but it would be nice if it got fixed someday.

Not that the limitation makes any sense anyway, as all you need to do is reinstall Trados to be able to pick the language pairs you need at a specific time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS ONLY ACCEPTS A MAXIMUM OF 5 LANGUAGES...?!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search