Slovenia
Local time: 05:05
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Is Studio 2019 finally x64? Nov 1, 2018

Hello everyone,

I cannot find this information anywhere - I would like to know if the Studio 2019 is finally x64 and can use multiple CPU cores/threads?

Any other speed increases compared to the (updated) 2017?

I might be willing to upgrade in case adding terms and preparing files is now instantaneous.. (I am sure everything else is more or less the same except the name anyway:))..

Thanks!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tomi Nov 1, 2018

Tomi Dobaj wrote:
Any other speed increases compared to the (updated) 2017?

There is no increase in speed. Some of the processes are supposed to go faster because it requires slightly fewer mouse clicks to reach the end of the dialog trail, but the tasks that Studio does itself do not go faster. Analyzing files, selecting multiple segments, changing status across multiple segments, exporting files -- all still as slow as ever. Even TM-lookup has the same amount of lag as before.

[Edited at 2018-11-01 09:56 GMT]

Tomi Dobaj
Tomi Dobaj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you, Samuel! Nov 6, 2018

Apparently still no x64.. All other bells and whistles are really not really even worthy of a Studio 2017 service pack, so much less a €200 new version.

So I'll spend my €200 elsewhere

Wojciech_ (X)

Amit Dave
Amit Dave
India
Local time: 09:35
English to Gujarati
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio 2019 stopped working same issue on 2017 as well Nov 9, 2018

Hi,

While typing in editor using Google Input tools for any Indian Languages it stops working. This happens several times. I have tried to uninstall & install also. Please help. Not getting any error code

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I think we can all agree Nov 14, 2018

Tomi Dobaj wrote:

Apparently still no x64.. All other bells and whistles are really not really even worthy of a Studio 2017 service pack, so much less a €200 new version.

So I'll spend my €200 elsewhere

It seems quite obvious that Studio 2019 is just a gap filler, not really worth upgrading to. Anyway, I'm starting to think that there's quite a big stagnation on the CAT market. The latest Deja Vu version is like 3 years old, new MemoQ versions introduce some cosmetic changes, Studio - at least 2019 - is a big letdown.

It seems like unless there's no new player on the market, we can't expect any groudbreaking technologies and solutions introduced in the near future.

Tomi Dobaj
Matthias Brombach
Wilhelm Weigert

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The trouble is probably the cloud Nov 14, 2018

It seems more and more agencies choose CAT tools which are in the cloud, like Coach, Transifex, memsource, XTM and others, and they avoid offline tools like memoQ, Studio and Dejavu. Therefore, the market for quality tools is slipping while the agencies want inferior products that they have full control of, regrettably. This creates problems for our traditional tools.

If sufficient numbers of us translators said no to these inferior products and say that we only accept work which we
... See more
It seems more and more agencies choose CAT tools which are in the cloud, like Coach, Transifex, memsource, XTM and others, and they avoid offline tools like memoQ, Studio and Dejavu. Therefore, the market for quality tools is slipping while the agencies want inferior products that they have full control of, regrettably. This creates problems for our traditional tools.

If sufficient numbers of us translators said no to these inferior products and say that we only accept work which we can do in our trusted offline tools, it could be this development could be turned around, but I don't have much hope that this will work. Regrettably too many of us accept the demand of the agencies.

It's the same as with the rates too - many accept inferior rates that it basically is not possible to make a decent living on, with the result that it is very difficult to raise the rates so that they follow the inflation.

Roy
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Robert Rietvelt
Jo Macdonald
Matthias Brombach
Christine Andersen

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
So true Nov 14, 2018

Roy, you are absolutely right. Cloud tools are far from reliable and still years behind the technologies offered by desktop applications. I curse the day subtitle vendors switched to cloud-based subtitle editors, because on the translator's end they're pure hell. Only yesterday I lost about four hours of my ready translation, when suddenly the cloud editor went "there was an error" and the server didn't save the latest version, despite allegedly saving it every 30 seconds.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:05
English to Russian
Checkbox Excel 2007-2016 Nov 15, 2018

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc. wrote:

Hi,

I hope that the bug that does not allow you to convert Excel files has been fixed in SDL Trados Studio 2019.

I always get the error message:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

This usually happens with Excel files that have more than one tab. The only workaround that I know of is to copy and paste to a Word file.

Since Excel is a very common format, it is great to have new features, but bug fixes would also help.

Thanks,
Patricia

Hi Patricia,
Among million other causes, one may be that the checkbox for Microsoft Excel 2007-2016 is not ticked in Options > File Types. By default it is not. If you upgraded to Office 2016—or your clients started using it recently—you will always have this issue unless you check this box in Trados.
Check the Microsoft Excel 2007-2016 box and move it up (lower right corner, 'Move Up' button) above the previous Microsoft Excel 2007-2013 to avoid the error for your future projects.

[Edited at 2018-11-15 09:16 GMT]

Hamza Foziljonov
Hamza Foziljonov  Identity Verified
Uzbekistan
Local time: 09:05
Member (2014)
English to Uzbek
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office Nov 21, 2018

I upgraded to SDL Trados Studio 2019 a few days ago. I used to use SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office in the Trados Studio 2017 and 2015 versions. SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office was installed together with the Trados Studio, but worked as a stand-alone app. However, I couldnʼt find it in Trados Studio 2019. Where is it gone?

Fangjun Yu

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
The cloud... and developers Nov 21, 2018

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Hmm... I remember epic fails from SDL and continuous patching from Kilgray even when "the cloud" wasn't still going so strong, together with the developers' craving to churn out a new "major version" every X months just to sustain themselves, even if there was basically nothing noteworthy or useful to the majority of the user base in the "new" (and usually bugged) version being released... So much for "quality tools".

If sufficient numbers of us translators said no to these inferior products and say that we only accept work which we can do in our trusted offline tools, it could be this development could be turned around, but I don't have much hope that this will work. Regrettably too many of us accept the demand of the agencies.

It's the same as with the rates too - many accept inferior rates that it basically is not possible to make a decent living on, with the result that it is very difficult to raise the rates so that they follow the inflation.

Ah yes... undoubtedly true, but that brings us to the sad truth, doesn't it? And since we're supposedly "freelancers", dictating our own terms to clients (while many of us actually work as throwaway employees with zero rights), we can't even come together, agree on this and act with some sort of loose unity. Some people work in niche markets/pairs and don't even acknowledge this trend, or don't see it as something that concerns them, while others are probably bound by necessity (at least I hope it's necessity...), or I don't know... perhaps they think this is the natural state of affairs... At any rate, we're eminently divided and we're operating in a buyers' market. The fact many clients are moving toward online CAT tools can only make things worse (in general), as that basically means another (already quite low) barrier to entry has dropped and more and more people will flood in the vendors' base...

Maybe it's just coincidence, but recently I've been in contact with an end-client, one of the biggest names worldwide in one of my specializations, that often works with 8-9 figures budgets per single project, and well, during negotiations they told me they're using one of those online tools, and I was honestly very surprised when they told me the rate I asked (which some small companies pay without making too much fuss) was too high and offered me a rate that is only marginally better than what a Chinese agency offered me two weeks ago... (coupled with apparently very stringent and "employee-like" demands in terms of availability, response, turnaround, etc.)

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 00:05
Member (2011)
English to German
What a disappointment… Dec 14, 2018

After I have been encouraged by the SDL Vendor Management to upgrade from earlier versions of SDL Trados Studio to the latest version, I have not noticed any improvements. On the contrary, I am now bothered e.g. with reorganizing my TMs. What a disappointment…

Wilhelm Weigert

Mohd Hamzah
Mohd Hamzah  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 12:05
English to Malay
+ ...
Can I confirm the segment like the old version? Feb 7, 2019

Hi

Previously, when I confirm the segment by clicking CTRL + ENTER but now change to ALT+ADD. My keyboard does not contain ADD button, only + button which sometimes confusing.

Can I use CTRL + ENTER like before?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Yes, it should be possible. Feb 7, 2019

Mohd Hamzah wrote:
Hi
Previously, when I confirm the segment by clicking CTRL + ENTER but now change to ALT+ADD. My keyboard does not contain ADD button, only + button which sometimes confusing.

I wonder what key ADD is - the + key on the number keyboard I wonder?

Anyway, I wasn't even aware of the new combination. I am using Ctr+Enter and Ctr+Alt+Enter to confirm segments and move to the next interesting segment.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:05
French to English
+ ...
Change the project template to Default Feb 8, 2019

Mohd Hamzah wrote:

Hi

Hi Mohd,
Alt + ADD (aka Alt-+) is the standard way in which Trados users confirmed segments in the first versions Trados (Workbench).

The template I use is called SDL Trados (Default template for Trados users) and uses this combination.

You can only change it by re-creating the project based on the Default template, which, I believe uses the Ctrl-Enter combination.

HTH,
Sandra

Maria Danielson
Maria Danielson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
licenses not showing up on my account page, need activation code Feb 12, 2019

On 1/1/19, my Studio 2017 wouldn't open, I received an alert that my license was no longer active. Assumed I had to purchase 2019, but encountered various problems on SDL.com - chatted with support, who informed me I actually did still have a valid 2017 license (then why the alert?). I decided to upgrade to 2019 anyway and paid for it. I installed 2019 but no new license is showing up on my account page, thus no activation code. Now I'm running 2019 in demo mode. Why isn't my account reflecting ... See more
On 1/1/19, my Studio 2017 wouldn't open, I received an alert that my license was no longer active. Assumed I had to purchase 2019, but encountered various problems on SDL.com - chatted with support, who informed me I actually did still have a valid 2017 license (then why the alert?). I decided to upgrade to 2019 anyway and paid for it. I installed 2019 but no new license is showing up on my account page, thus no activation code. Now I'm running 2019 in demo mode. Why isn't my account reflecting my new license?Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2019 is here

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »