Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
SDL Trados Studio 2019 is here
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:54
Jul 26, 2018

Designed with user experience at its core, SDL Trados Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new levels of productivity for the whole translation team and helps in delivering unrivalled quality in your translations.

What’s New in SDL Trados Studio 2019

•Get started easily with on-demand tips and tutorial videos: From the moment you open SDL Trados Studio 2019, you are gu
... See more
Designed with user experience at its core, SDL Trados Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new levels of productivity for the whole translation team and helps in delivering unrivalled quality in your translations.

What’s New in SDL Trados Studio 2019

•Get started easily with on-demand tips and tutorial videos: From the moment you open SDL Trados Studio 2019, you are guided through each area with tips, tricks and tutorial videos showing you how to create and manage projects, use the translation editor, and get the most out of your translation assets.

•Instant access to every feature and setting with 'Tell Me' technology: Did you know Studio 2019 has over 700 commands and 1300 settings, that’s a lot of functionality. Our new ‘Tell Me’ technology helps you access a setting 4x faster. Tell Studio exactly what you need to know: simply type in a word or phrase, and Studio 2019 intelligently suggests commands, options and settings that you might want to access.

•Effortless project creation and simple project updates: Create projects up to 28% faster with the brand new one step project creation wizard. Adding and updating specific files mid-project is also now a much quicker and pain-free process – up to 82% faster than Studio 2017.

•Enhanced quality checks: Studio 2019 introduces the option to customize settings for each language, increasing your flexibility and control over quality assurance (QA) checks. When you run a QA check in Studio 2019, the source and target segment are now included in the report, so you can see at a glance exactly where each error occurs.

•Improved translation memory (TM) management: With Studio 2019, you have more control over the Translation Memories Editor: you can now view up to 1000 translation units per page, navigate to a specific page or directly to the last page of a TM, meaning it’s quicker and easier to sort through your TMs, change and update translations.

If you are a Freelance Translator, click here to find out more about the new features in SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance.

If you are a Language Service Provider, click here to find out more about the new features in SDL Trados Studio 2019 Professional.
Collapse

LucasTissier
Ahmed Eldeeb

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 04:54
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, more on-demand help is very good in such a 'big' application... Jul 28, 2018

Hello Dan,
I will really appreciate your first and last point! As for the last, Studio already has very good filtering capability for the TM, but navigating to the very last entries is a plus for taking out garbage etc that will 'clutter' the TM in the future.
I'll appreciate your first point even more, because Studio has so many settings and procedures that I often wanted a quick, punctual help.
I'm looking forward to try it,

Best regards,
Mike

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
The emperor's new clothes Jul 28, 2018

"... When the emperor parades before his subjects in his new "clothes", no one dares to say that they do not see any suit of clothes on him for fear that they will be seen as stupid."

Source:
Wikipedia.org

[Bearbeitet am 2018-07-29 10:57 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Enrico C - ECLC
Ron Willems
Clemens Wilhelm
Wilhelm Weigert
Ami Tzubery

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Question Jul 30, 2018

Is this the least exciting iteration of Trados Studio ever? By the number of posts when compared to Studio 2015 and 2017 premieres, I dare say it is.

Anthony Teixeira

Ann Louise Rodríguez
Ann Louise Rodríguez
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Plug in? Jul 31, 2018

Hi,

I just upgraded to 2019, but the MyMemory does not support the new version. Is there another MT-plugin, I can use to speed up my work?

Kind regards,

Ann Louise

Franz Holzer

Michael79
Michael79  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
Does SDL Trados Studio 2019 support .json API key? Aug 1, 2018

SDL_Dan wrote:

Hi Dan, I have an API question for you:

Does the upcoming SDL Trados Studio 2019 support .json API key created from service account of Google AutoML Translation custom model?

I have been using SDL Trados Studio 2017 with traditional Google Cloud Translation API key for a year, which works well.

Given this workflow involves compliance risk, so I am exploring another option of using my OWN custom model instead of a generic Google NMT model.

The content of the .json file is sth like this below:

{
"type": "service_account",
"project_id": "my project id",
"private_key_id": "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
"private_key": "-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----\XXXXXXXXXXX\n-----END PRIVATE KEY-----\n",
"client_email": "XXXXXXXXXX.com",
"client_id": "XXXXXXXXXX",
"auth_uri": "https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/auth",
"token_uri": "https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/token",
"auth_provider_x509_cert_url": "https://www.googleapis.com/oauth2/v1/certs",
"client_x509_cert_url": "https://www.googleapis.com/robot/v1/metadataXXXXXX.com"
}

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Good news Aug 1, 2018

If they work the new features will make a better tool, but I expect lots of bugs, so I'm not updating right away. 2017 works fine for me.

Elke Fehling
Rachid BOUSOURRA

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
No bugs Aug 2, 2018

No new code = no new bugs. They mostly wrote help topics and produced help videos. So, this release might go down in history as the smoothest ever.
On the other hand, this means that there is barely any value in upgrading to version 2019. Even the 160 EUR that I paid (reduced price for 'early upgrade') seem to be too much for what it offers.
(And those new buttons, which barely stand out from the background and have no access keys associated with them, so you can onl
... See more
No new code = no new bugs. They mostly wrote help topics and produced help videos. So, this release might go down in history as the smoothest ever.
On the other hand, this means that there is barely any value in upgrading to version 2019. Even the 160 EUR that I paid (reduced price for 'early upgrade') seem to be too much for what it offers.
(And those new buttons, which barely stand out from the background and have no access keys associated with them, so you can only click them and not 'press' them using keyboard shortcuts or access them using the Tab key, like all normal Windows GUI controls, really get on my nerves. Usability was already bad, and these new buttons make it even worse.)

[Edited at 2018-08-03 07:38 GMT]
Collapse

Minh Nguyen
Anthony Teixeira
Matheus Chaud

eivind
eivind
Local time: 11:54
English to Norwegian
+ ...
earn your money Aug 7, 2018

I heard that adding files to existing projects has been made faster, so that's nice. What I really want to know, though, is: Did they introduce a keyboard shortcut for inserting the next tag sequence? I'd pay €200 for that.

Christine Andersen
Ron Willems

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
Regex Tagger Aug 7, 2018

Is there a RegEx tagger as the one available in MemoQ?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Watch the videos Aug 8, 2018

eivind wrote:

I heard that adding files to existing projects has been made faster, so that's nice. What I really want to know, though, is: Did they introduce a keyboard shortcut for inserting the next tag sequence? I'd pay €200 for that.

Of course they did not add this. And they did not add the option to use Tab to move from source to target column.

It seems that, according to SDL, usability is improved by making a series of YouTube videos and calling this an 'upgrade', not by improving the UX of the application itself by streamlining processes.

Ron Willems
Marija Grinevičiūtė
Duygu Günkut

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:54
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
What is the situation with projects? Aug 10, 2018

Emma has written a helpful and gently promising review here:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2018/07/26/studio-2019/

Emma, if you're reading this, the project wizard looks like a decent step forward. Does it resolve the old problem whereby if you created a project as a "single-file project" you could no longer add files to it? Or perhaps it do
... See more
Emma has written a helpful and gently promising review here:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2018/07/26/studio-2019/

Emma, if you're reading this, the project wizard looks like a decent step forward. Does it resolve the old problem whereby if you created a project as a "single-file project" you could no longer add files to it? Or perhaps it does away entirely with that awkward and artificial distinction between single-file and multi-file projects?

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Artificial? Aug 10, 2018

Dan Lucas wrote:
Or perhaps it does away entirely with that awkward and artificial distinction between single-file and multi-file projects?

The distinction is not as clear cut as this. If you use the same Project creation mechanism for all projects then you can work with a single file or multifile and always add as many files as you like. If you use project templates then it's really simple and fast.

The single file translation approach is just a quick way to open a single file only and translate it. Designed to replicate the process you used to have in the old Trados to some extent and actually caused a little confusion... good intentions etc... I always found it's greatest use was in testing filetypes as you didn't need to create a project, but since the preview option that's available when you create filetypes it's less useful.

The new wizard does make it easier for anyone who wasn't familiar with the multifile projects as you call them so this might go some way towards encouraging users to take the same approach for all types of projects and then it's simple.

Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Please, add an index to search topics Aug 12, 2018

Not sure whether this is the right place, but here we go. I had high hopes about the new search field that is supposed bring me to a setting (or feature) to use and/or change. I can't possibly count the times where I was trying to figure out how to change something from which I knew I had changed it in Trados before, but for the life of me couldn't find it anymore because it is nested in some esoteric sub screen.

Having used Trados 2019 for a while now, though, not once did this new
... See more
Not sure whether this is the right place, but here we go. I had high hopes about the new search field that is supposed bring me to a setting (or feature) to use and/or change. I can't possibly count the times where I was trying to figure out how to change something from which I knew I had changed it in Trados before, but for the life of me couldn't find it anymore because it is nested in some esoteric sub screen.

Having used Trados 2019 for a while now, though, not once did this new feature help me to find a setting (so far). Here's an example:

Dates are converted from the source, and by default 31 March 2018 becomes "Sonntag, 31. März 2018" in the target. I want it to be without the day of the week, and I know there is a setting for that. So I enter "replace date" in the search field, which turns blank. I try to be more general and enter "Date", but none of the results are of any help (they refer to settings for Word documents, but I am working on a PDF). I try again, "replace", and are being brought to Auto Correct, which doesn't help either. I try "day of the week", the window turns blank...

To make this feature work in practice, there should be an index related to search results that goes beyond the programmer's logic and has angular ideas about how someone would/could search for a certain topic. In the days of KI there should be a smarter solution than what I get with the search window, In my experience it doesn't improve finding settings one bit.

PS: I entered "trados datum ersetzen" (trados replace date) into Google; first hit explained how to do the trick.

[Bearbeitet am 2018-08-12 12:43 GMT]
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 22:54
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excel Bug Fixes Oct 17, 2018

Hi,

I hope that the bug that does not allow you to convert Excel files has been fixed in SDL Trados Studio 2019.

I always get the error message:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

This usually happens with Excel files that have more than one tab. The only workaround that I know of is to copy and paste to a Word file.

Since Excel is a very common format, it is great to have new features, but bug fixes would al
... See more
Hi,

I hope that the bug that does not allow you to convert Excel files has been fixed in SDL Trados Studio 2019.

I always get the error message:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

This usually happens with Excel files that have more than one tab. The only workaround that I know of is to copy and paste to a Word file.

Since Excel is a very common format, it is great to have new features, but bug fixes would also help.

Thanks,
Patricia
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2019 is here

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »