Need help with regex to change first character after bullet points to upper case
Thread poster: Erik Freitag

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:06
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Aug 9

Dear colleagues,

I'm looking for a regex that will convert the first character following a string consisting of a bullet point and a space ("• ") to upper case.

Example: "• test" -> "• Test".

As a matching string, (• )(.) works fine, but I can't find a way to convert the second group to uppercase. Threads on the sdl.community site seem to indicate that the regex flavour used by Studio doesn't offer this possibility?

As my regex capabilities are sadly lacking, I'd appreciate your help!

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

[Edited at 2018-08-09 12:43 GMT]

Olivier Den Hartigh  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
English to French
Need help with regex to change first character after bullet points to upper case Aug 10

Hi Erik,

You should ask the SDL Translation Productivity > AutoHotKey forum at https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/400. They should be able to help you.
Cheers,
Olivier Den Hartigh

Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Regex replacement Aug 10

A general comment regarding regular expressions (regexes)
Although regexes are a powerful and useful tool for matching (even complex) terms, they offer only limited replacement (substitution) capabilities.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
True Aug 22

Anthony Rudd wrote:

A general comment regarding regular expressions (regexes)
Although regexes are a powerful and useful tool for matching (even complex) terms, they offer only limited replacement (substitution) capabilities.

That’s right, but it also depends on the regex flavour that has been implemented.

Doesn’t Studio’s regex provide a switch to change the case of a replacement character (as some regex variants do)?

@Erik: You can edit the sdlxliff file in any editor that supports case switching via regex.

[Edited at 2018-08-22 06:32 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 22

Thanks for all your help - I ended up doing a manual search and replace with all letters that occurred.

Cheers,
Erik

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
For the record Aug 22

Just for the record, here's a demonstration:

goez1lzpaxyxfvfq2ovb.gif

(Of course you can limit the replacement to the target segments.)

Nora Diaz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with regex to change first character after bullet points to upper case

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search