Creating a memory from translated Trados file OR adding a new file to a translated one
Thread poster: MonsieurNico

MonsieurNico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:59
French to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2018

My apologies for bothering you all with such a beginner question, but I have been trying to figure this out on my own for hours and am pulling my hair out at how unbelievable un-user-friendly Trados can really be.

My very simple task:
I have finished translating a document (FR>EN project) in Studio 2017.
I have just received a new document that uses all the same wording, so I want to use the memory from the previous document.

I can either:
- Add the
... See more
My apologies for bothering you all with such a beginner question, but I have been trying to figure this out on my own for hours and am pulling my hair out at how unbelievable un-user-friendly Trados can really be.

My very simple task:
I have finished translating a document (FR>EN project) in Studio 2017.
I have just received a new document that uses all the same wording, so I want to use the memory from the previous document.

I can either:
- Add the new file to the current/completed project. HOWEVER, while following the Trados manual online, this does not work. When I add the file, it shows up in the FR folder and has no "translatable" status, even when I try to convert it to translatable.
- Make a new project using the memory from the previous project. However, I did not manually "create" a memory when creating the original project. So how on earth do I create a memory from that project after the fact?

I appreciate your patience. This seems to me like it should be the absolute simplest task in a CAT tool, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Thanks!

http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Projects_View/Managing_Projects/Managing_Project_Files/P_Add_Files_to_an_Existing_Project.htm
Collapse

Bassem Messak
Lorraine Heydl de Bottreau

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@MNico Aug 22, 2018

MonsieurNico wrote:
- Make a new project using the memory from the previous project. However, I did not manually "create" a memory when creating the original project. So how on earth do I create a memory from that project after the fact?

In Trados, go File > New > New Translation Memory. After you've created the (empty) translation memory, in the side bar on the left, click Translation Memories so that you can see a list of translation memories. Right-click the translation memory and select "Import". Then select the SDLXLIFF file(s) that you had just finished translating. This will import your translation into that translation memory.

The next step would be to ensure that that translation memory is "active" in your new project, but you'll figure it out.

Bassem Messak

MonsieurNico  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 22, 2018

This worked (after a bit of playing around) - thanks so much for your help!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a memory from translated Trados file OR adding a new file to a translated one

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search