Language & Culture Worldwide  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 31, 2018

Hello! Any tips would be appreciated!
We need to keep the source document comments when delivering our translations, same placement as the original document (Word docx). We don't need to translate comments, we need to keep these untouched. When processing the file with Studio, I can see the comments on the source text (view/comments) but no in the target text. Furthermore, comments don't transfer w/copy source to target. How can we transfer those comments into each segment of our target te
... See more
Hello! Any tips would be appreciated!
We need to keep the source document comments when delivering our translations, same placement as the original document (Word docx). We don't need to translate comments, we need to keep these untouched. When processing the file with Studio, I can see the comments on the source text (view/comments) but no in the target text. Furthermore, comments don't transfer w/copy source to target. How can we transfer those comments into each segment of our target text?
PS. Obviously, when cleaning the file (save target as) comments don't appear with the translated text/file.
Thank you in advance!

Maria
Collapse

MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Print preview Aug 31, 2018

Can you see the comments in Print Preview? If so, this is an indicator that they will be there when you finish the translation and save the target. I hope this helps.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:53
English to Russian
Not possible Sep 1, 2018

Comments may apply to individual words or entire sentences. Words may be omitted, sentences may be split after translation.
Trados is not intelligent enough to decide how to transfer comments between languages.

Example:
A Japanese phrase 何かお探しですか (that literally means 'Are you looking for something?') translates into English as 'May I help you?'. Say a comment is attached to 'looking for'.
Where do you expect to transfer the comment in target 'May
... See more
Comments may apply to individual words or entire sentences. Words may be omitted, sentences may be split after translation.
Trados is not intelligent enough to decide how to transfer comments between languages.

Example:
A Japanese phrase 何かお探しですか (that literally means 'Are you looking for something?') translates into English as 'May I help you?'. Say a comment is attached to 'looking for'.
Where do you expect to transfer the comment in target 'May I help you?'?

[Edited at 2018-09-01 04:56 GMT]
Collapse

NeoAtlas
Spain
Local time: 19:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Extract comments and lock them in Editor Sep 1, 2018

In your Project Settings (or Options) > File Types > Microsoft Word XXX > tick the checkbox to extract the comments.
Then open your DOCX file with the new settings. In Editor you'll see the comments, right?
Then filter the segments with comments and lock them up (to avoid translating them).
Remove that filter.
When translating, you'll be able to see special tags around the text with comments, tags that you can move around if needed.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:53
English to Russian
Thank you Sep 1, 2018

NeoAtlas wrote:
When translating, you'll be able to see special tags around the text with comments, tags that you can move around if needed.

A very interesting workaround. Many thanks.

Sorry for my wrong assumption above.

[Edited at 2018-09-01 08:40 GMT]

Language & Culture Worldwide  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone! Sep 5, 2018

Thank you so much NeoAtlas, it worked! Really appreciate the help. Cheers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2017: how to keep original source text comments on target text

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search