Converting sdltb to tbx?
Thread poster: Ekaterina Kroumova

Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Sep 3, 2018

I feel quite silly now, but I can't figure out how to export an sdltb termbase to the exchange tbx format.

Multiterm only allows for an export into XML, HTML, RTF, and the like.

Glossary Converter creates an Excel file. Even if I fiddle with the output settings, it only recreates a new sdltb.

Xbench (free version) doesn't seem to like Multiterm's XML export, and doesn't react at all. I'm absolutely clueless, please help!

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
There is a default TBX export definition Sep 3, 2018

I don't know what version of Multiterm you are using, but you will normally find a TBX (LISA 2002) Export Definition if you go to Termbase Management (bottom left) > select Export (top left). You will see the definition on the right panel.

You have to open the TermBase you want to export in Multiterm first.

Best,

[Edited at 2018-09-03 21:43 GMT]

French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still producing only an XML Sep 4, 2018

Thanks for the answer Jaime.

Quite hidden is this option. My Multiterm is version 2017 and I was using the usual/most logical way: File>Import&Export. Still, even if I activate the last row with the definitions: TBX (LISA 2002)--initially the first row was active--it exports to an XML. It is said that the XML is compliant with the TBX core structure but I don't need a compliant file, I need a true TBX.

And why isn't it just possible to select the definition type on a w
... See more
Thanks for the answer Jaime.

Quite hidden is this option. My Multiterm is version 2017 and I was using the usual/most logical way: File>Import&Export. Still, even if I activate the last row with the definitions: TBX (LISA 2002)--initially the first row was active--it exports to an XML. It is said that the XML is compliant with the TBX core structure but I don't need a compliant file, I need a true TBX.

And why isn't it just possible to select the definition type on a wizard screen? I'll never understand the deep and penetrating logic of Multiterm.

Is there a possibility to create a TBX from this XML? Probably with the Glossary Converter? This one is also too intuitive, it just lets you get a new SDLTB.
Collapse

Daniel Carrion

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't use File > Export Sep 4, 2018

Right click the definition and select "Process", which will run the export wizard with the options for TBX.

There is also a button called Process that you can click. And my Multiterm says you can also Ctrl+Alt+P. (Obviously after selecting the definition you want.)

[Edited at 2018-09-04 09:42 GMT]

French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not happy with the results Sep 4, 2018

Crazy thing. Even this way, Multiterm suggests again only XML, HTML, RTF, TXT and All Files. I clicked on the All-Files option and manually set the file to be a tbx one. I don't know if it makes sense. I was able to open the file in another programme (a termbase editor) but the second and third column corresponding to two different languages are all mixed up. Sometimes terms appear where they belong to, but sometimes terms form the second column are listed in the third one, and vice versa, with ... See more
Crazy thing. Even this way, Multiterm suggests again only XML, HTML, RTF, TXT and All Files. I clicked on the All-Files option and manually set the file to be a tbx one. I don't know if it makes sense. I was able to open the file in another programme (a termbase editor) but the second and third column corresponding to two different languages are all mixed up. Sometimes terms appear where they belong to, but sometimes terms form the second column are listed in the third one, and vice versa, with no logic. I think I'll give up on this. I exported the termbase in Excel and will do the cleaning up in there manually.

Thanks Jaime for your time and for trying to help!
Collapse

Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:32
English to Vietnamese
It's TBX Sep 4, 2018

Hi Ekaterina,

You did create the tbx file by activating the TBX (LISA 2002) row and exporting the xml file.
Under the hood, TBX is actually in xml format, so the extension does not matter here. Just rename the generated the xml file to have the .tbx extension.

[Edited at 2018-09-04 10:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-09-04 11:38 GMT]

French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Poor performance Sep 4, 2018

Thanks Minh.

It seems we have to be scientists (or clairvoyants) to understand Multiterm. This product, although helpful from within Studio (with its inevitable limits, of course), seems to be an absolute mystery in its native interface. But I won't elaborate on this any longer, zillions have already commented before me

Thanks for the help!

Daniel Carrion

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:32
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Ekaterina Sep 4, 2018

Please watch https://gateway.sdl.com/articles/FAQ/000004053?articleName=000004051

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:32
English to Russian
Ok, it seems I've found it Sep 4, 2018

Ekaterina,
In Glossary Converter select settings (screwdriver/wrench icon), select TBX in 'General' tab, click OK. Now just drag and drop your sdltb file into the Glossary Converter window. When hovering over the Glossary Converter window, its section frames will turn green. Once the process is done, the frames will restore to gray and a tbx file will appear in the same place with your original sdltb.

[Edited at 2018-09-04 12:21 GMT]

French to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yessss! Sep 4, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

Ekaterina,
In Glossary Converter select settings (screwdriver/wrench icon), select TBX in 'General' tab, click OK. Now just drag and drop your sdltb file into the Glossary Converter window. When hovering over the Glossary Converter window, its section frames will turn green. Once the process is done, the frames will restore to gray and a tbx file will appear in the same place with your original sdltb.

[Edited at 2018-09-04 12:21 GMT]

That's what I needed! I didn't think of just pressing OK after I'd selected the file type. I was loading, saving... whatever.

Спасибо большое Степан!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting sdltb to tbx?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search