Ioanna Karamitsa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:29
Member (2005)
English to Greek
+ ...
Sep 11, 2018

Hi,

till last night I was working on my project of 13k words almost half way done. My laptop battery was almost dead so I saved my project and closed the laptop. Today I open Trados, I can see project 79 and project 81, but there is no Project 80- the one I was working on. I went to 'open file' found project 80 but when I double click on the project I get "an error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version'.
I found the TM of the project but it only appears to have
... See more
Hi,

till last night I was working on my project of 13k words almost half way done. My laptop battery was almost dead so I saved my project and closed the laptop. Today I open Trados, I can see project 79 and project 81, but there is no Project 80- the one I was working on. I went to 'open file' found project 80 but when I double click on the project I get "an error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version'.
I found the TM of the project but it only appears to have 5% of the work done...
I am close to losing it, please help.

Thank you
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Check the link below Sep 11, 2018

Hi Ioanna,

If you search on the Internet the error message you get, there are some hits coming out, like this one: https://gateway.sdl.com/communityknowledge?articleName=Error-message-An-error-occurred-while-trying-to-determine-the-file-versi
... See more
Hi Ioanna,

If you search on the Internet the error message you get, there are some hits coming out, like this one: https://gateway.sdl.com/communityknowledge?articleName=Error-message-An-error-occurred-while-trying-to-determine-the-file-version-while-opening-document-and-or-project-in-SDL-Trados-Studio

Please try it and tell us if it makes sense for you.
Collapse

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seen these already Sep 11, 2018

Hi Ekaterina,

Ive seen these posts, that’s how I knew to look for the project through the ‘open project’ feature.
I created a new project but the TM doesn’t seem to be updated so no segments gained there.
I restarted the computer, Trados..,
I don’t know what else to do

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On another note, laptop dies too... Sep 11, 2018

So, apparently my laptop stopped charging. I had a spare charger and checked it too, but it won't charge.
I don't know if it is a problem of the laptop or trados. In any case, now I have to work on a laptop that has no trados and need to work on the project from scratch.

If anyone knows how to find the file remotely (i.e. by installing Trados on another laptop), please let me know.

Thank you

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Create a new project and use the target SDLXLIFF files as source files Sep 11, 2018

Install Trados on the laptop you are going to be working on. Copy the target SDLXLIFF files from your previous project to the laptop your are going to be working on. Create a new project with those files as source. If you saved your translation before closing Trados, all your text should be there, and you can continue where you left off.

Hope this helps.

Joe Ly Sien

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Laptop is dead too, no access to SDLXLIFF files Sep 11, 2018

When s**t hits the fan...

Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just plug it in. Sep 11, 2018

It doesn't matter if the battery doesn't charge. As long it it is plugged in, the laptop should run. On the other hand, if it really is dead (fried hardware), then you can remove the hard disk drive or the solid-state drive and connect them to any other device. (You might need help to do this, though.) You could use a SATA to USB adapter to use your old drive as a thumb drive. ... See more
It doesn't matter if the battery doesn't charge. As long it it is plugged in, the laptop should run. On the other hand, if it really is dead (fried hardware), then you can remove the hard disk drive or the solid-state drive and connect them to any other device. (You might need help to do this, though.) You could use a SATA to USB adapter to use your old drive as a thumb drive. https://www.amazon.com/sata-usb-adapter/s?page=1&rh=i:aps,k:sata%20to%20usb%20adapterCollapse

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Won't turn on... Sep 11, 2018

I am afraid at the moment I need a quick fix to start working on the file from scratch. If I loose a day (or week) to do this, then I will have lost my client
I will look into these options once I've delivered the project though. Thank you so much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 lost project

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search