How to make an export for MT 5 from MT 6.5?
Thread poster: Johanne

Johanne
Local time: 07:35
English to German
+ ...
Jun 2, 2005

Hello everyone,
I have been trying to make an export of our MultiTerm 6.5 database for a MultiTerm 5 database. I have used the preset definition "MultiTerm 5 export definition", but I keep getting xml.files, which I cannot import into MT 5. Am I missing a step? Do I need to convert it into txt? Has anyone done this successfully?
Any suggestions?
I will be glad for any thanks
Johanne

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Save it as .txt Jun 2, 2005

Hi Johanne,
Simply save the export file as .txt - the dialogue will allow you to do it (to be precise, it should provide this as a default...).

HTH, Ralf

Johanne
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 2, 2005

very much. I'll try that!
Johanne

Johanne
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Jun 2, 2005

I tried saving it as .txt and it worked. Thanks a lot.

But now I cannot import it. When I look at the export in word, only the source and the target languages I had set in MT 6.5 (6.2.0.287) have been exported, but not any of the other languages.

Do I need to prepare a new export definition for this purpose?

I need to export the entire database and be able to import it to MT5 (5.0.1.220). The definitions of the termbases should be the same as we imported everything from 5 to 6.5 just a few months ago and did not make any changes to the termbase definition (other than those we had to - not attaching attribute fiels to text fields, etc.)

Any suggestions? Can I also simply save the export file in .txt when I use a different export definition, such as the "Default export definition" which lets me make a back-up?

Thanks again for your help. I have read the manuals and help pages but it did not really help me.

Thanks
Johanne

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Need to tweak the export text file Jun 2, 2005

Hi again,
But now I cannot import it. When I look at the export in word, only the source and the target languages I had set in MT 6.5 (6.2.0.287) have been exported, but not any of the other languages.

Do I need to prepare a new export definition for this purpose?

You may have to - my own termbase only contains German and English, so I cannot contribute own experience here.

Any suggestions? Can I also simply save the export file in .txt when I use a different export definition, such as the "Default export definition" which lets me make a back-up?

Nope - although in substance, XML files are text, the structure differs considerably.

Have a look at the export file; my hunch is that the language codes don't match; you may have to tweak the export using search and replace.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make an export for MT 5 from MT 6.5?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search