Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SDL Trados 2017 SR1 update failed and cancelled. Now no way to access the software!
Thread poster: David Rumsey
David Rumsey
David Rumsey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:01
Member (2004)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dec 12, 2018

-> I was prompted to update my SDL Trados 2017 SR1 Freelance this morning.
-> Halfway through the update, I received the error: Service "SDL Customer Feedback Service" (Sdl.Product.Telemetrics.v1 failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."
-> I hit "Retry" twice but ultimately hit "Cancel".
-> Now I cannot find ANY shortcut to Trados 2017 on the desktop nor a listing for it in the Control Panel.
-> I read online that I was supp
... See more
-> I was prompted to update my SDL Trados 2017 SR1 Freelance this morning.
-> Halfway through the update, I received the error: Service "SDL Customer Feedback Service" (Sdl.Product.Telemetrics.v1 failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."
-> I hit "Retry" twice but ultimately hit "Cancel".
-> Now I cannot find ANY shortcut to Trados 2017 on the desktop nor a listing for it in the Control Panel.
-> I read online that I was supposed to adjust the Windows User Account Settings, which I have done, but I have no way to restart the program or installation?!
-> I checked My Licenses on the SDL TRanslationZone.com page, but I don't see a link to return this license. I do NOT want to uninstall and reinstall the program if I cannot return the license first!
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try this Dec 12, 2018

David Rumsey wrote:
-> I checked My Licenses on the SDL TRanslationZone.com page, but I don't see a link to return this license. I do NOT want to uninstall and reinstall the program if I cannot return the license first!

Something else happened to me, but the effect was the same: Trados seemingly disappeared from my computer. What worked for me was to download the updates and install them (no need to "uninstall" first).

Try downloading the two products here:
https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/mydownloads.asp
https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/downloadarchive.asp

Your problem may be specifically with 2017. I have 2019, so maybe this solution won't work for you.

Similar thread: https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/331142.html

[Edited at 2018-12-12 19:25 GMT]

Sylvie Pilon (X)
Sylvie Pilon (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:01
English to French
Same problem Dec 12, 2018

I had the same problem this morning when I tried executing the latest Service Release for Studio 2017. After the error message about the Customer Feedback Service appeared, I canceled the update and Studio 2017 was gone. I downloaded it again from my SDL account, but I still get the error message when I try installing Trados Studio.

I tried multiple solutions I found on the Web: I deactivated the Windows User Account Settings, I stopped my firewall temporarily, I right-clicked on t
... See more
I had the same problem this morning when I tried executing the latest Service Release for Studio 2017. After the error message about the Customer Feedback Service appeared, I canceled the update and Studio 2017 was gone. I downloaded it again from my SDL account, but I still get the error message when I try installing Trados Studio.

I tried multiple solutions I found on the Web: I deactivated the Windows User Account Settings, I stopped my firewall temporarily, I right-clicked on the .exe file to run it as an administrator, I renamed certain files in the Telemetrics folder, I renamed the Telemetrics folder itself... Nothing works.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is restarting my PC AFTER performing the above solutions and BEFORE running the installation again. I'll try that tonight, after I finish work. Luckily, I don't need Trados today, but still... What a hassle!

[Edited at 2018-12-12 19:41 GMT]
Collapse

David Rumsey

David Rumsey
Canada
Member (2004)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no luck Dec 12, 2018

I adjusted my Windows User Account Settings to "Never" and downloaded the update again...but same error. ;-(

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
invitation to upgrade to 2019 Dec 12, 2018

David Rumsey wrote:

I adjusted my Windows User Account Settings to "Never" and downloaded the update again...but same error. ;-(

Could it be a gentle invitation to upgrade to Studio 2019? Luckily, I bought my upgrade a few months ago and today I was able to get rid of all problems created by those smart engineers in SDL!

David Rumsey
Canada
Member (2004)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LOL! Dec 12, 2018

If that's the case, this isn't the way to install confidence in their products!

Sylvie Pilon (X)

Sylvie Pilon (X)
Canada
English to French
Invitation? Hope not! Dec 12, 2018

Marco Oberto wrote:

Could it be a gentle invitation to upgrade to Studio 2019?

Well, there's another thread in Proz's forums about people having problems updating their 2019 version of Studio, so I doubt this issue with Studio 2017 is an "invitation". And if it is, SDL will simply lose me as a client.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:01
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Same problem SDL suggested fix doesn't work Dec 12, 2018

I have just experienced the same problem right now, and with an imminent delivery deadline. I found the info below in the SDL KB and tried Solution 2, but when I select Studio in the Control Panel, the only option available is to uninstall, which I will not attempt at this point. I will try Solution 1 next, but have to find out where the install file is downloaded first. It's not in the Downloads folder.

The KB article is here:
... See more
I have just experienced the same problem right now, and with an imminent delivery deadline. I found the info below in the SDL KB and tried Solution 2, but when I select Studio in the Control Panel, the only option available is to uninstall, which I will not attempt at this point. I will try Solution 1 next, but have to find out where the install file is downloaded first. It's not in the Downloads folder.

The KB article is here:
https://gateway.sdl.com/communityknowledge?articleName=000002554

[Edited at 2018-12-12 22:13 GMT]
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:01
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Solved in another thread Dec 12, 2018

I found the solution in another thread in this forum, thanks to Lucyna Duleba. It worked and I am now up and running:
https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/331142-sdl_trados_studio_2017_update_failed_to_install_and_studio_2017_vanished.html#2767630

Sylvie Pilon (X)
Canada
English to French
Yeah! Dec 12, 2018

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

I found the solution in another thread in this forum, thanks to Lucyna Duleba.

It worked for me too! Thank you so much!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:01
English to Russian
Going gray in minutes... Dec 13, 2018

I hardly managed to get 2019 installed and activated yesterday.
Now I decided to update 2017 on my second computer...
Loads of thanks to Lucyna Duleba et al.
---
Just minor addition: if SDL.Product.Telemetrics is not visible in the list of processes and you cannot rename the Telemetrics folder because it is allegedly used by another process (it was my case), reboot your computer in safe mode, rename the Telemetrics folder and restart again in normal mode.

Thomas Loob
Thomas Loob  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
Amazing SDL Dec 13, 2018

First you report errors in the previous build here and total silence.
Then comes an update and you think that: oh, now they have fixed the error with Multiterm not showing terms dynamically. And maybe the SDL icons are back on the menus.
But no. Only the menu icons are back. What an accomplishment. Applause.
I followed the instructions mentioned above and attemted to restart the computer in Safe Mode, but it started in normal mode and I had the option to commence the installati
... See more
Then comes an update and you think that: oh, now they have fixed the error with Multiterm not showing terms dynamically. And maybe the SDL icons are back on the menus.
But no. Only the menu icons are back. What an accomplishment. Applause.
I followed the instructions mentioned above and attemted to restart the computer in Safe Mode, but it started in normal mode and I had the option to commence the installation. It obviously installed SR1 but the termbase function is still gone.
Applause. Brilliant. You pay hundreds of euros for smth that doesn't work and is met by total silence.
The world needs more yellow vests.

[Redigerad 2018-12-13 09:06 GMT]
Collapse

Marco Oberto

Thomas Loob
Thomas Loob  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
Multiple crashes during work Dec 13, 2018

Forgot to mention the multiple crashes that appeared after the last update some months ago.
Thought they wouls also disappear with SR1, but the come even more often now.
The timing with touting Studio 2019 is noticed.

[Redigerad 2018-12-13 11:42 GMT]

Alaa Zeineldine

David Rumsey
Canada
Member (2004)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LOL! Dec 13, 2018

When I worked in the software industry, there was a saying: "We deliver junk. But we deliver it on time."...

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
deafening silence from SDL continues... Dec 14, 2018

[quote]Thomas Loob wrote:

You pay hundreds of euros for smth that doesn't work and is met by total silence.
The world needs more yellow vests.

rad 2018-12-13 09:06 GMT]

I find old bugs untouched in all new versions of Studio, no exception for 2019. The big novelty is now NOT to even bother to reply in public forums to their demanding users...

Mia Liou

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2017 SR1 update failed and cancelled. Now no way to access the software!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »