Thread poster: Jose Fernandez

Jose Fernandez
Local time: 19:29
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2018

Hello all,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I ran a search and wasn't able to find anything relevant to this question. What I would like to know is whether anyone has any insight on how LSPs maintain memories for languages that their PMs don't speak. I speak Spanish, so I can check memories manually in Trados and I can align documents when these are in Spanish, but I would like to be able to maintain memories for other languages as well. I reckon aligning documents in othe
... See more
Hello all,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I ran a search and wasn't able to find anything relevant to this question. What I would like to know is whether anyone has any insight on how LSPs maintain memories for languages that their PMs don't speak. I speak Spanish, so I can check memories manually in Trados and I can align documents when these are in Spanish, but I would like to be able to maintain memories for other languages as well. I reckon aligning documents in other languages can be troublesome, especially when Trados has problems aligning automatically, which is often the case in my experience. I am sure this is a common problem, so I was hoping anyone would be willing to share their experience on the subject. Thanks so much in advance!

I have Trados 2019 SP1. Some of the languages I would need to work on are Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, French, and Russian.

Thanks!
Collapse

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:29
English to Russian
Same approach as for translation: Dec 13, 2018

alignment jobs have to be done by native speakers of your target language. From my experience, LSPs instruct their PMs to distribute such jobs accordingly. You just cannot align what you do not understand.

Kay Denney
Dimmo Petrov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintaining translation memories for languages we don't speak - Trados

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search