Thread poster: Md Abu Alam

Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 22:39
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Jan 11

I use SDL Trados 2017, but I never performed proofread/review project. One of my client has sent me a Trados package for proofreading and wrote: "Please track your changes in Trados". Does she mean maintaining of track change? How can I do it (I mean menu, sub-menu etc) .

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Abu Jan 11

Md Abu Alam wrote:
How can I do it (I mean menu, sub-menu etc).

You need to click a tab called "Review", but it doesn't show up unless you've opened a file. You first have to open a file. Then a "Review" tab will appear. Click it, and then click a button called "Track changes".

Note that unlike in MS Word, tracked changes in Trados is not a document property but a program property. This means that if you close Trados and then reopen it to continue working on a file in which you had previously used tracked change, you'll have to remember to re-enable tracked changes. Trados doesn't remember that.

[Edited at 2019-01-11 09:43 GMT]

Md Abu Alam

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
Member (1970)
English
Open for Review Jan 11

... instead of Open for translation and then the default is track changes on.

Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 22:39
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 11

I understood. Thank you very much.

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:39
Member (2015)
German to Turkish
+ ...
open for review Jan 11

In Studio, to be able to review/proofread a file, you need to select the relevant file and then select "open for review" either on the menu or by right-clicking the file name.

I use the 2019 version where "track changes" is the default mode on in the review functionality. I don't know whether this applies to 2017 too or not. But first, you have to open the file in the review mode and not in the translation mode.

Edit: I apologize for repeating the previous comments :/ I was away from the keyboard for a short time and I forgot to refresh it before posting my comment.

[Edited at 2019-01-11 07:41 GMT]

Md Abu Alam
scbcunha

Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
@Abu Jan 11

Suggestion: upon completing proofreading, check up your work. Make a copy of that file, as help file, accept all track changes, and run spellcheck, or see whether you made some issues while proofreading (merged words when changing/deleting something, made double spaces etc. - it happens)

[Edited at 2019-01-11 12:34 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:39
Member (2015)
German to Turkish
+ ...
@Gordana Jan 12

Gordana Sujdovic wrote:

Suggestion: upon completing proofreading, check up your work. Make a copy of that file, as help file, accept all track changes, and run spellcheck, or see whether you made some issues while proofreading (merged words when changing/deleting something, made double spaces etc. - it happens)

[Edited at 2019-01-11 12:34 GMT]

There is already an option for this.

When you open the file for review, on the review tab of the ribbon, you will see a button "Final Mode".

It works just like in Microsoft Word: You can switch the modes with and without the changes shown.

In my opinion, it is quite a safe and easy method of final proofreading a review.

Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
@Elif Jan 12

Thanks:) Never enough learning and so many CATs, online platforms, buttons...This info will be helpful for other translators, for sure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading in SDL Trados

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search