Bug in verify function
Thread poster: Roy Oestensen

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 06:37
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
May 16

I wonder if others have noticed the following, and have a solution so that one can reduce the number of false positives when running the verify function.

Source:
Examples of available *mounting solutions*:
Translation:
Eksempler på *monteringsløsninger*:
Error message:
Target segment does not contain the translated term for "mounting pad" - "Monteringsbrikke" expected.
Of course target does not contain the translated term for mounting pad, since source doesn't have that term. Somehow the verify function reads "mounting" (or "mounting solution") and interprets it as "mounting pad", which, of course totally wrong.

Is there anyone who recognises what's going on and how to fix it? Or should I contact SDL and report this error?


 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:37
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Termbase search match value May 16

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I wonder if others have noticed the following, and have a solution so that one can reduce the number of false positives when running the verify function.

Source:
Examples of available *mounting solutions*:
Translation:
Eksempler på *monteringsløsninger*:
Error message:
Target segment does not contain the translated term for "mounting pad" - "Monteringsbrikke" expected.
Of course target does not contain the translated term for mounting pad, since source doesn't have that term. Somehow the verify function reads "mounting" (or "mounting solution") and interprets it as "mounting pad", which, of course totally wrong.

Is there anyone who recognises what's going on and how to fix it? Or should I contact SDL and report this error?


Have you tried a higher match percentage in the termbase settings?


IanDhu
 

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 06:37
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase setting? May 16

I haven't actually tried to change things, but in the project settings, I find Verification > Terminology verifier > Verification settings

I hope this is what you are referring to. It is set to 70 as the minimum value. It was tempting to set it to 100, or perhaps you have a different suggestion? At least things are not as they should just now.


 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:37
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Try a higher setting May 17

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I haven't actually tried to change things, but in the project settings, I find Verification > Terminology verifier > Verification settings

I hope this is what you are referring to. It is set to 70 as the minimum value. It was tempting to set it to 100, or perhaps you have a different suggestion? At least things are not as they should just now.


Exactly, that's what I meant. I'm not sure I'd go as far as 100, but I'd certainly try higher values and see what amount of "noise" you accept.


 

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 06:37
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 17

I cannot say this is an expected behaviour. I would expect the speller to check the word as it is and not against something which is not supposed to be there.

But I have changed to 90% now. Will be interesting to see if this helps.


 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:37
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Expected behaviour May 17

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I cannot say this is an expected behaviour. I would expect the speller to check the word as it is and not against something which is not supposed to be there.


I disagree. This is how it should be. A certain amount of fuzziness is indispensable for inflective languages. Even with English as source language, you'd need two termbase entries per term in order to catch the plural form. Also, it makes sense to cater for misspellings.

Roy Oestensen wrote:
But I have changed to 90% now. Will be interesting to see if this helps.


The behaviour you're looking for should be achieved by a value of 100%, though 90% makes a lot more sense imho.

Let me know whether this works for you.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug in verify function

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search