Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:56
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2005

1. Does it accept all forms of punctuation (including quotation marks, dashes, hyphens and apostrophes)without producing error codes that have to be manually corrected in the TM at great length afterwards?
2. What is the quality of the expression matches it offers? Are they an improvement on "in the"?
3. Is it possible with Trados to re-align segments of a translation originally done in Trados? (This feature would be necessary for German legal translations)
4. Does it have
... See more
1. Does it accept all forms of punctuation (including quotation marks, dashes, hyphens and apostrophes)without producing error codes that have to be manually corrected in the TM at great length afterwards?
2. What is the quality of the expression matches it offers? Are they an improvement on "in the"?
3. Is it possible with Trados to re-align segments of a translation originally done in Trados? (This feature would be necessary for German legal translations)
4. Does it have a way of accepting two paragraphs as one segment (e.g. if it is one sentence, but a line space comes inbetween)

I would find any answers to these questions extremely interesting.

Astrid
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados Jun 18, 2005

1. Of course it does, no errors are produced.

2. The quality of the matches depends on the quality of your translation memory (if I understand your question correctly).

3. It is, there is a tool called WinAlign.

4. No, one segment cannot contain two paragraphs. A single sentence shouldn't contain paragraph break inside anyway. Manual line break is OK, though (Shift-Enter in Word).

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reason for Question 4 Jun 18, 2005

Thanks very much, Hynek.

The reason for Question 4 is the nature of certain German sentences in legal documents. Basically, the English equivalent of them would be laid out in the document as follows:

"Please let us have the signed document no later than

(date)."

In English, there would be no problem about this being 2 different TUs.

However, due to the way that German sentences are constructed, in German the same sentence takes t
... See more
Thanks very much, Hynek.

The reason for Question 4 is the nature of certain German sentences in legal documents. Basically, the English equivalent of them would be laid out in the document as follows:

(date)."

However, due to the way that German sentences are constructed, in German the same sentence takes the following form:

"Please let us the signed document no later than

(date)

have."

This produces 3 TUs, if the sentence cannot be joined as one TU, and there is no match in English for the last German verb element. This is a great way to very quickly mess up translation memories, and the translation tool that I am using at the moment cannot solve this problem.

Astrid
Collapse

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
Solution: Rewrite such sentences Jun 18, 2005

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

(date)."

However, due to the way that German sentences are constructed, in German the same sentence takes the following form:

"Please let us the signed document no later than

(date)

have."

A solution is to rewrite the source text. In this case:

"Please send the signed document no later than:

(date)"

This could be translated to German as:

"Bitte senden Sie uns das unterzeichnete Dokument vor Ablauf des nachstehenden Datums:

(date)"

When using machine translation software, it's also necessary to rewrite source texts, especially if they are of poor quality.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Word order Jun 18, 2005

Sometimes I run into the same problem, so I know what you mean. I'm afraid Trados won't help you here. Some CAT tools are able to follow context, but Trados (at least Freelance) can't.

The solution would be to replace the hard returns in the original document with line breaks, as I suggested above. At first, Trados will open the segment only up to the first manual break, but you will be able to expand it manually to include the whole sentence. Or you will simply have to deal with th
... See more
Sometimes I run into the same problem, so I know what you mean. I'm afraid Trados won't help you here. Some CAT tools are able to follow context, but Trados (at least Freelance) can't.

The solution would be to replace the hard returns in the original document with line breaks, as I suggested above. At first, Trados will open the segment only up to the first manual break, but you will be able to expand it manually to include the whole sentence. Or you will simply have to deal with these cases individually.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Line breaks Jun 18, 2005

Thanks very much, Tekkie and Hynek. Now I have two solutions to this particular problem. I never thought of re-writing the source text before! I will try that, and also try the manual line returns, and see which is the more efficient option.

I'm looking forward to getting Trados anyway, when 50 people have been found.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Further pre-purchase questions about Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »