Trados menu in Word has become invisible
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 21, 2005

Just as I was getting used to some of the idiosyncrasies and workarounds that working with Trados requires, this happened: after installing MS Proofing Tools the Trados menu became invisible. The word Trados is there in the Word 2003 standard menu bar on top of the page, I can click on it and a nearly invisible window 'appears'. I can see the vague outline of it. Since some of the commands are only accessible in this menu, I'm unable to work with it on this pc. Luckily I have a laptop so I can do something. But if anyone has an idea, I'd much appreciate.
Kind regars, Marinus
Trados 6.5, Windows XP SP2, Office 2003, Proofing Tools 2003.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:13
English to German
+ ...
What happens if you deactivate MS Proofing Tools? Jun 21, 2005

Hi Marinus,
A while ago I had a similar problem with the Adobe Acrobat menu, which 'killed' the Trados menu. What happens if you deactivate MS Proofing Tools (assuming that they also use macros embedded in a template)?

Best regards,
ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Proofing cannot be deactivated Jun 21, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
What happens if you deactivate MS Proofing Tools (assuming that they also use macros embedded in a template)?
ralf

Thank you for replying but it doesn't work. MS Proofing is a makro that cannot be removed from the makro menu. I've removed all other templates and add-ins I could find but to no avail. By the way, if I click on the word 'Trados' in the standard menu bar the Trados toolbar disappears. I can only get it back by clicking on TW4Win in 'View/Toolbars'. Even then, it looks different from the other toolbars: the background colour of it has disappeared. Is there a risk in re-installing Trados?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Shang
China
Local time: 18:13
English to Chinese
run 'Register Trados 6.5 ...' again Jun 21, 2005

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Just as I was getting used to some of the idiosyncrasies and workarounds that working with Trados requires, this happened: after installing MS Proofing Tools the Trados menu became invisible. The word Trados is there in the Word 2003 standard menu bar on top of the page, I can click on it and a nearly invisible window 'appears'. I can see the vague outline of it. Since some of the commands are only accessible in this menu, I'm unable to work with it on this pc. Luckily I have a laptop so I can do something. But if anyone has an idea, I'd much appreciate.
Kind regars, Marinus
Trados 6.5, Windows XP SP2, Office 2003, Proofing Tools 2003.


Please run 'Register Trados 6.5 ...' again. Configuration file is modified each time you add one or more components of MS Office.

If this doesn't work, please copy TRADOS6.dot from \Template folder on your install CD and paste it under D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP folder. And then restart Office.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados.dot replaced. Jun 21, 2005

Shang wrote:
Please run 'Register Trados 6.5 ...' again. Configuration file is modified each time you add one or more components of MS Office.

If this doesn't work, please copy TRADOS6.dot from \Template folder on your install CD and paste it under D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP folder. And then restart Office.


Did both and it worked. Old Trados.dot may have been corrupted. Thanks a million!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

joaquinmoreno
German to Spanish
+ ...
didn't work for me Jul 8, 2006

[[/quote]

Please run 'Register Trados 6.5 ...' again. Configuration file is modified each time you add one or more components of MS Office.

If this doesn't work, please copy TRADOS6.dot from \Template folder on your install CD and paste it under D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP folder. And then restart Office. [/quote]

It looks like I have a similar problem. Some time ago I installed the Proofing Tools and now the Trados menu doesn't open up properly. I get the same funny window described above.

I ran Register Trados 6.5 again and pasted TRADOS6.dot into the STARTUP folder. However, the only thing that's different now is, when I open a Word doc, a window pops up, telling me that "macros have been disabled. Please refer to the online-help etc."

Any suggestions? Thank you very much in advance.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados menu in Word has become invisible

Advanced search







LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search