Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to confirm segment without sending it to the TM?
Thread poster: Guillermo Mendez

Guillermo Mendez
Spain
Local time: 03:18
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
AutohotKey Aug 9

Thanks, Stepan, for that AutohotKey script. I learned about that app very recently and it looks very powerful. I’ll definitely go deeper with it. Your insights about TM are very appreciated as well,

Armine Abelyan

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
How to confirm segment without sending it to TM Aug 9

Guillermo Mendez wrote:

Hi there,
I'm starting to use SDL Trados Studio (2019) after doing several courses, both from the manufacturer itself and from third parties, and there's a doubt that's always hanging over my head while I'm translating. We all know that pressing CTRL+INTRO confirms the translation and the segment is sent to memory. However, I don't quite understand why they should be simultaneous actions. What's the point of sending segments such as numbers or links to the translation memory, which apparently won't give me anything? Is there any way to confirm a segment and not send it to the translation memory?
Thanks,
Guillermo.

Hi Guillermo
have you tried CTRL+L, that is, locking the segments you don't want in your TM? You can then still confirm them and go to the next segment, the locked segments do not show up in your TM but are exported to the final file.

Guillermo Mendez

Guillermo Mendez
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
How to confirm segment without sending it to TM Aug 9

Thanks, Wolfgang. The locking feature, along with filtering and segment status change is one option for translating without sending to TM several segments in a row. Nice!
Regards.

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:18
English to Russian
Confirm after locking? Aug 9

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
You can then still confirm them and go to the next segment, the locked segments do not show up in your TM

The purpose of locking is to prevent any changes after locking. How can you confirm them then?

[Edited at 2019-08-09 13:20 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Confirm after locking Aug 10

Stepan Konev wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
You can then still confirm them and go to the next segment, the locked segments do not show up in your TM

The purpose of locking is to prevent any changes after locking. How can you confirm them then?

[Edited at 2019-08-09 13:20 GMT]

Hi Stepan
you are right, I shouldn't have said "confirm". What I meant is that you can go to the next segment with CTRL+Enter.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I think there is a better way Aug 13

One of the things I love about Studio is that you don't lose anything even if the computer crashes. You get everything back that you had added to the TM. So, if you don't save it to the TM you would lose it.
I think the best way to avoid this is, when setting up the project, to create a project TM. This way everything you save goes into the project TM and not the main TM which is, instead, only updated when the project is finalized. This way you have a memory with one and still a memory of
... See more
One of the things I love about Studio is that you don't lose anything even if the computer crashes. You get everything back that you had added to the TM. So, if you don't save it to the TM you would lose it.
I think the best way to avoid this is, when setting up the project, to create a project TM. This way everything you save goes into the project TM and not the main TM which is, instead, only updated when the project is finalized. This way you have a memory with one and still a memory of past test (presuming your TM covers various jobs) and you can check against the two.

Eileen
Collapse

Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
But you lose what you've done if the computer crashes and it is not saved to the TM Aug 13

Eileen Cartoon wrote:
I think the best way to avoid this is, when setting up the project, to create a project TM. This way everything you save goes into the project TM and not the main TM which is, instead, only updated when the project is finalized. This way you have a memory with one and still a memory of past test (presuming your TM covers various jobs) and you can check against the two.
Eileen

To me the way Dejavu is set up makes much better sense. The project file functions as a database file, where each segment is saved when you leave it. That way you don't lose any work even if the computer crashes and you haven't saved the project to any TM or even saved the project. That the saving only happens from time to time automatically isn't good enough for me.

[Edited at 2019-08-13 15:23 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to confirm segment without sending it to the TM?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search