Multiterm 6.2 Import from xml - how to avoid multiple identical entries?
Thread poster: Alexander Behrens
Alexander Behrens  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:10
English to German
+ ...
Jun 22, 2005

Hallo, I've got a very big xml file (generated from xls by MultitermConvert); after I successfully imported the file I saw each enty was there 25 times!!! Has anybody come across this problem? My Multiterm is 6.2, build 287. Thanks a lot in advance Alexander Behrens

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-22 20:59]

[Edited at 2005-06-24 18:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Change filters? Jun 22, 2005

Hi Alexander,
In step 2 of the import wizard, try to deactivate Fast import, and/or set the filter Source contains synonyms.

HTH, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm 6.2 Import from xml - Multiterm creates multiple identical entries Jun 23, 2005

Dear Ralf, thank you a lot, this is an interesting point, however the error continued with disabled FAST IMPORT and enabled SOURCE CONTAINS SYNONYMS. When restoring my database backup, I suspect, I might have omitted some project and other Multiterm-related files because there seems to be a lot of them at different places ... may be this is the reason??? I'll keep investigating the problem. Alexander Behrens

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Alexander,
In step 2 of the import wizard, try to deactivate Fast import, and/or set the filter Source contains synonyms.

HTH, Ralf

[Edited at 2005-06-24 18:22]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you re-create the termbase? Jun 23, 2005

Hi Alexander,
Sorry if I wasn't 100% clear - what I meant was to re-create the termbase. I'm not aware of an easy way to get rid of duplicates; my suggested workaround was to apply a different import.

Best, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Topic: Multiterm 6.2 Import from xml - how to avoid multiple entries Jun 24, 2005

Hi Ralf, thanks again. Yes, I tried to re-organise the database (using the said filter settings), and this fails to remove redundant entries. I suppose I will conclude a support contract with TRADOS, and will keep you up to date. Alexander

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Alexander,
Sorry if I wasn't 100% clear - what I meant was to re-create the termbase. I'm not aware of an easy way to get rid of duplicates; my suggested workaround was to apply a different import.

Best, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to remove twin entries from a Multiterm database (from V.6.2) Jul 27, 2005

Alexander Behre wrote:

Hi Ralf, thanks again. Yes, I tried to re-organise the database (using the said filter settings), and this fails to remove redundant entries. I suppose I will conclude a support contract with TRADOS, and will keep you up to date. Alexander

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Best, Ralf

I found out the following:
There is no solution available in Multiterm for removing twin entries from within the database, for instance:

Entry 1
German=Schwalbe
English=swallow

Entry 2
German=Schwalbe
English=swallow

But there is a similar filter function available as you import an XML file. The function is called “Synchronise entries on index term” and allows you, during an import, to prompt Multiterm to omit any entry containing an index that is identical or homonymous to an index of a different entry which is already there in the database. For instance, if you import the above two data sets, and synchronise on English index:

1. The above entry 1 is imported.
2. After this, as entry 2 is being imported, Multiterm detects that the index “swallow” is already there in the database, and omits entry 2.

Alternatively, you can select not to omit the second entry, but to merge both entries instead which may be helpful in cases where the other indexes are different, for instance:

Entry 1
German=Schwalbe
English=swallow

Entry 2
German=schlucken
English=swallow

In this case, after the import you see:

German=Schwalbe
German=schlucken
English=swallow

within one entry. This may be a dirty operation from a linguistic point of view but it can be very helpful if there is a huge quantity of data to cope with.

There is no function that removes double entries within an existing database. So if you need to remove them, take the following steps:

1. Open the data base
2. Save the Termbase Definition of this data base in a XDT file
3. Export the database (in to an XML file)
4. Create a new database using the above XDT definition file.
5. Re-import the XML file; in doing so, choose “synchronise on index” (select the language that contains the identical indexes; in the above example this would be English).

Alexander Behrens

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 6.2 Import from xml - how to avoid multiple identical entries?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search