Thread poster: Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
Jun 24, 2005

I'm using Trados 6.5.5.441 with Word 2000

For some reason Trados selects whole paragraphs rather than single sentences. This seems to be related to the fact that is simply selects everything between paragraph marks. I therefore have to constantly go to the concordance window to find out how I tanslated a certain sentence as it does not automatically translate it. There might be a new sentence in the paragraph causing the 50% match I set to fail.

How can I set Trados in
... See more
I'm using Trados 6.5.5.441 with Word 2000

For some reason Trados selects whole paragraphs rather than single sentences. This seems to be related to the fact that is simply selects everything between paragraph marks. I therefore have to constantly go to the concordance window to find out how I tanslated a certain sentence as it does not automatically translate it. There might be a new sentence in the paragraph causing the 50% match I set to fail.

How can I set Trados in such a way that it slects sentences rather than paragraphs?

Thanks for your help.

Harmen
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:09
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Non-breaking spaces Jun 24, 2005

This happens if there is a non-breaking space after the full stop. If this is your case, replace them with normal spaces. You can also try shrinking the segment (Alt+Ctrl+PageUp).

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Could also be... Jun 24, 2005

The problem could also be caused by numbers at the end of sentences. Trados perceives these as ordinal numbers and thinks the sentences isn't over. I get this problem all the time when translating patents containing numeral references.

Whatever the reason, you should still be able to shrink the segment using Alt+Ctrl+PageUp to step one full stop backward. Trados then compares the "new" sentence/segment with the TM and any match will come up.

See more
The problem could also be caused by numbers at the end of sentences. Trados perceives these as ordinal numbers and thinks the sentences isn't over. I get this problem all the time when translating patents containing numeral references.

Whatever the reason, you should still be able to shrink the segment using Alt+Ctrl+PageUp to step one full stop backward. Trados then compares the "new" sentence/segment with the TM and any match will come up.

Jørgen
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I think this is better Jun 24, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

.. You can also try shrinking the segment (Alt+Ctrl+PageUp).

So you can decide case by case

Rgds

Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 25, 2005

Thanks Hynek.

That solved the problem!

I guess I'll have to start reading the manuals...

Harmen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Select sentences rather than paragraphs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »