Thread poster: David Heim
David Heim
David Heim  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 28, 2005

I'm looking to purchase Trados 7 tonight before their sale ends but have a few questions (it's my first time buying Trados).

1) What is the difference between TRADOS 7 Freelance and TRADOS MultiTerm 7 Extract Freelance? The the latter included the first? If not, is it worth the $900 extra?

2) I'm getting a new computer in the next week. If I download the program tonight (as it's the only way to order it) on my old computer, can I easily transfer the program to my new
... See more
I'm looking to purchase Trados 7 tonight before their sale ends but have a few questions (it's my first time buying Trados).

1) What is the difference between TRADOS 7 Freelance and TRADOS MultiTerm 7 Extract Freelance? The the latter included the first? If not, is it worth the $900 extra?

2) I'm getting a new computer in the next week. If I download the program tonight (as it's the only way to order it) on my old computer, can I easily transfer the program to my new computer?

thanks.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:47
English to German
+ ...
Separate software packages Jun 28, 2005

Hi David,

Hope my answer isn't too late.

MultiTerm Extract is a separate software package that is used for term extraction: you can use it to extract terminology from existing translations, TMs or reference files.

2) I'm getting a new computer in the next week. If I download the program tonight (as it's the only way to order it) on my old computer, can I easily transfer the program to my new computer?

Yes. First of all, the package you download is an installation file, which you can use to install the software several times - in fact, there is no restriction on the number of times you can install the software. The license file, which you will need to generate in order to run Trados (without it, the software will run in demo mode only) is a different issue, as this is generated by reference to a specific computer. However, it's possible to return it once and re-generate it without contacting Trados, so changing your PC is not a problem. (You can change it several times, however, you would need to contact Trados Support to re-generate the license file several times over. I've done it myself.)

HTH, Ralf

David Heim
David Heim  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jun 30, 2005

Thanks for the info. The earlybird sale was extended to the 30th so your clarifications were in time.

David

Paulo Cesar
Paulo Cesar
Portuguese to English
Multiterm 7 x multiterm extract 7 Apr 4, 2006

Hi fellows,

What´s is the real difference between Multiterm 7 and Trados Multiterm Extract 7. I mean, can I download a licence for Multiterm and activate the Multiterm Extract that accompanies the program or do I have to buy Trados Multiterm Extract 7? Thanks in advance.

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
Italian to English
+ ...
Different Programs Apr 4, 2006

Multiterm is the term recognition leg of Workbench and is normally bundled with Workbench. If you have workbench, you also have a licence for Multiterm.

Term Extract is a completely differnt program that costs around $800, I think.

Where as Multiterm is used to keep term bases, glossaries, dictionaries, etc, Term Extract, as Ralf says, is to extract repeated words and phrases from documents. You then review the extracted words and phrases to decide if they are terms
... See more
Multiterm is the term recognition leg of Workbench and is normally bundled with Workbench. If you have workbench, you also have a licence for Multiterm.

Term Extract is a completely differnt program that costs around $800, I think.

Where as Multiterm is used to keep term bases, glossaries, dictionaries, etc, Term Extract, as Ralf says, is to extract repeated words and phrases from documents. You then review the extracted words and phrases to decide if they are terms that you want to insert into a termbase. Sometimes Term Extract is bundled with Multiterm but you still need to buy an additional licence so that it doesn't run in demo mode.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 7 Freelance vs. TRADOS MultiTerm 7 Extract Freelance

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »