https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/34224-trados_7_compatibility_with_previous_versions.html

Trados 7 compatibility with previous versions
Thread poster: Stephanie Rothwell (X)
Stephanie Rothwell (X)
Stephanie Rothwell (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:22
French to English
Jul 1, 2005

Dear all,
Although I'm very happy with Wordfast, more clients require Trados, so I am looking to buy it. I am concerned that if I buy the new Trados 7, it won't be compatible with older versions that some clients may use. I translate from French to English, and as a virtually new Trados user, only want basic features. I don't know whether to buy a second-hand version 6/6.5 or go for the more expensive new version. Could anyone give me any advice?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:22
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jul 1, 2005

...to Trados Support.

I haven't upgraded to T7 yet, so this is based on previous upgrades (e.g. from 5.x to 6.x). You cannot exchange TMs (given the different database structure), but you can still exchange data, either by way of an export file, or by sending an uncleaned document (if you're working in Word, for instance).

Best regards,
Ralf

Stephanie Rothwell (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
So can you use old-version TMs at all? Jul 1, 2005

Thanks Ralf! So if a client provided me with a T6 memory, could I export it, import it into a T7 memory, then re-export it for the client? Seems like a lot of hassle if that's all that can be done. I'm expecting clients to provide TMs, you see.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:22
English to German
+ ...
Upward compatibility Jul 2, 2005

Hi again, Stephanie,
So if a client provided me with a T6 memory, could I export it, import it into a T7 memory, then re-export it for the client? Seems like a lot of hassle if that's all that can be done. I'm expecting clients to provide TMs, you see.

No need for that extra step if you have the latest version: you can open older TMs in T7, but you cannot open a T7 memory in T6.x or T5.x. That said, wouldn't it make more sense for your clients to provide an export file anyway?

Although you didn't specify which file formats you typically work on, given your reference to Wordfast, I assume it's Word, right? In that case, you simply send them your pre-cleanup document - no need for a separate TM export.

Best regards,
Ralf

Stephanie Rothwell (X)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
That answers my question Jul 2, 2005

Thanks Ralf, you've reassured me. I guess it's time to take the plunge then. (And yes, I do work in Word, almost exclusively.) Merci encore

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 compatibility with previous versions

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »