Is it possible to hide tags in Trados uncleaned doc?
Thread poster: Joaquim Siles-Borràs

Joaquim Siles-Borràs  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 2, 2005

Here it´s my question, see if you know what can be done about it:

My client wants me to work with Trados (which is no problem), because they want the trados rates, due to the fact that the file to translate has lots of repetitions.

The problem is that they need me to send them back a word document with the original source text and the translation in the target language in a different colour, so that they can edit it. The prob is that editors are not familiar with latin alphabet languages, so they need to know exactly what sentence belongs to which sentence.

In order to kkep everybody happy, I would have to use trados and then manage to be able to hide all the tags, so that the client gets (aas they want) a Word document which contains both original and translation.

Is there any easy way of doing this with Trados? A function somewhere that would allow me to do it?

Thanks very much in advance for your help and suggestions

Regards

Joaquim

ps. I know about the simple primitive pasting, but the doc is massive and we can´t spend three days pasting the translation, sentence by sentence, into the original doc. So the idea is to find a way to avoid this .

Direct link Reply with quote

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:28
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Maybe that would work? Jul 2, 2005

First of all, I'm not quite sure that I understand exactly what you need.
Is it that the editors would need the bi-lingual text to re-create the same layout in the final document as the source document? I.e., they would look at the source sentence in the original document, find this in the translated file, copy the translation of this sentence and paste it into the new target document?

In this case, what about:
Create a new tm, clean up the file in this new tm. This way, all source sentences and translations should be in the same order as they are in the original text.
Export this tm into a text file, get rid of all code etc.

You won't have color-coding, but you could separate each TU with special characters etc. (with Word's search/replace function).

Source
xx
Translation

@@@@@@@@@@

Source
xx
Translation

This way, the editors could easily identify each source sentences with its translation.

If there is some formating involved, you could also provide the clean-up Word doc as reference.

HTH!

Joaquim Siles-Borràs  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Heike Jul 3, 2005

Hi Heike,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. It does make sense. I will definitively try it!
Cheers
Joaquim

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 3, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-05 23:43]

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Colours and source/target text Jul 3, 2005

Hi,
Maybe I didn't understand your question, but is an uncleaned document not enough for your client?
If they display hidden text they will see each source TU with the corresponding target TU so they know which text corresponds to which, and you can set the colours in Trados so that the translated text has a different colour (e.g. source blue, target green).

Another idea: unhide all the text (select all and uncheck "hidden" in Format-Font) then modify the "tw4winMark" style to hide it. The client will then (hopefully) be able to view the source and target text without seeing the tags.

HTH
Marie-Céline

[Edited at 2005-07-03 19:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to hide tags in Trados uncleaned doc?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search