Thread poster: Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:02
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 5, 2005

I am translating several TagEditor files, originally InDesign (which is not installed on my computer). Is there any way at all to preview the translation or print it without tags? If not, how else would you check and proof your translation? I'm using Trados 6.5.5. and Windows XP.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
As far as I know, it's impossible Jul 5, 2005

We have the same problem. We have asked Trados about this, and they say that it's currently impossible with version 6.5.5. I don't know if Trados 7 fixes the problem...

The "best" method so far has been to decrease the size of the tags so they just appear as little triangles or a shape of that sort.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please use the forum search function - check past topics Jul 5, 2005

Hi Jenni,
In fact, the same question was discussed as recently as yesterday - have you tried the forum search? You'll be amazed how much you can find.

As regards Marie-Claude's comment regarding T7 - I wouldn't expect T7 to solve that. The problem is that DTP formats are generally converted before using TagEditor - IOW an .isc file is not an InDesign file, but a file con
... See more
Hi Jenni,
In fact, the same question was discussed as recently as yesterday - have you tried the forum search? You'll be amazed how much you can find.

As regards Marie-Claude's comment regarding T7 - I wouldn't expect T7 to solve that. The problem is that DTP formats are generally converted before using TagEditor - IOW an .isc file is not an InDesign file, but a file conversion.

In any case, InDesign would need to be installed (which Jenni says isn't available on her machine).

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
I know that... Jul 5, 2005

I know they are not Trados-native. But since some file formats are available for "Preview", without the tags, who knows...

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A major difference... Jul 5, 2005

Sorry...
I know they are not Trados-native. But since some file formats are available for "Preview", without the tags, who knows...

Nothing's impossible, of course - however, there is a major conceptual difference between converted DTP files and, say, a PowerPoint file: provided the source application is installed on the system, TagEditor can communicate directly with PPT, whereas another processing step is required to display a Quark file, for example.

Best regards,
Ralf

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
But since... Jul 5, 2005

But since the inDesign files are created thanks to Trados Story Collector, isn't there a "bit" of Trados in the .isc files, so to speak? Or am I really not getting it?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
There is a bit of Trados in there... Jul 5, 2005

...nice way of putting it!

But since the inDesign files are created thanks to Trados Story Collector, isn't there a "bit" of Trados in the .isc files, so to speak? Or am I really not getting it?

Well, you are thinking in the right direction - my point is that, unless TE could directly import from DTP formats, the associated processing might be too complex.

Best, Ralf

Jenni Jelse
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way of printing then? Jul 5, 2005

Actually I did read some of the old posts, but I just wanted to make sure that there is no way of printing just the text. It doesn't have to be in the proper layout, but without all the extra info you get if you for example copy the text into Word. I don't use TagEditor very often, so I'm not sure if there is any way of printing the text if you can't preview.

Also I was wondering how other people deal with this problem. I have never delivered a translation that couldn't be previewed
... See more
Actually I did read some of the old posts, but I just wanted to make sure that there is no way of printing just the text. It doesn't have to be in the proper layout, but without all the extra info you get if you for example copy the text into Word. I don't use TagEditor very often, so I'm not sure if there is any way of printing the text if you can't preview.

Also I was wondering how other people deal with this problem. I have never delivered a translation that couldn't be previewed somehow (to make the text flow better as a whole) and proofread on paper. Surely this must influence quality?

Thanks!
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Proofing on paper Jul 5, 2005

If you're used to proofreading on paper and don't want to miss it, you might ask your outsourcer to convert your "draft" version to PDF and send that to you so you can print it and proofread on paper like you normally do.

I have a project on my hands right now where I'm proceeding in this fashion - the translators send their preliminary version to me, I convert it and send it back to them as PDF so they can spot and iron out any remaining problems.

Regards,
Benjam
... See more
If you're used to proofreading on paper and don't want to miss it, you might ask your outsourcer to convert your "draft" version to PDF and send that to you so you can print it and proofread on paper like you normally do.

I have a project on my hands right now where I'm proceeding in this fashion - the translators send their preliminary version to me, I convert it and send it back to them as PDF so they can spot and iron out any remaining problems.

Regards,
Benjamin
Collapse

Jenni Jelse
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Jul 5, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

Regards,
Benjamin

That sounds like a good idea, will probably try that.

I just can't believe they haven't implemented a way of printing the translation from TagEditor.

One more thing: I could probably just proof the Swedish "View" tab if only I could make changes without going back to the "Edit" tab every time. But I take it that's impossible?

I feel like I must be missing something here, because surely it can't be this badly designed!

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Any format...? Jul 5, 2005

Hi Jenni,
I just can't believe they haven't implemented a way of printing the translation from TagEditor.

Who would be "they"?
This would require an integrated interface to a DTP environment - no doubt this is possible technically (but most certainly not trivial); the question is whether that is feasible, given (i) the development cost involved, and (ii) the fact that most DTP users work on a Mac.

You can produce a printout yourself, provided you have InDesign installed (note that the same requirement applies to previewing Excel or Powerpoint files - you cannot preview them unless MS Office is installed).

Don't get me wrong - I understand your problem. I just think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a CAT tool to be integrated with all conceivable editing environments, without having to install the corresponding application.

The major difference to previewing HTML content, for example, is that HTML is an open standard. IMO you cannot really compare the two.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jenni Jelse
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but I just want to print what I can see Jul 5, 2005

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

This would require an integrated interface to a DTP environment - no doubt this is possible technically (but most certainly not trivial); the question is whether that is feasible, given (i) the development cost involved, and (ii) the fact that most DTP users work on a Mac.

Hi Ralf,

All I would really need is to be able to print what I can see on the screen when I'm in "View" mode, even with the little tags if need be, or be able to make changes in this mode. Shouldn't that be possible?

Proofreading aside, to me it seems very difficult to produce a good translation if you can only ever work on a sentence level and not get an overview. It wouldn't have to be in the correct layout though.

Thanks for your input, it's interesting.

Jenni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor preview or print (isc files)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »