Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Little black squares
Thread poster: Wolfgang Schoene

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:52
English to German
+ ...
May 14, 2020

Hi
everytime I hit CTRL+ALT+Enter (Go to next segment) I get these little black squares with figures and letters (see screenshot) on top of my Studio 2019 screen.
And they appear with other key combos as well.
Am I the only one?
What can it depend upon?
Thanks for any input.

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 10.27.12


 

Robin LEPLUMEY
France
Local time: 01:52
English to French
+ ...
Mnemonics May 14, 2020

These are mnemonics. They appear when you press the Alt button, please see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonics_(keyboard)

They should not appear when you hit "CTRL+ALT+Enter", though. Arre you sure you're not accidentally htting the Alt button alone?

Robin


 

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:52
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mnemonics May 14, 2020

Robin LEPLUMEY wrote:

These are mnemonics. They appear when you press the Alt button, please see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonics_(keyboard)

They should not appear when you hit "CTRL+ALT+Enter", though. Arre you sure you're not accidentally htting the Alt button alone?

Robin


Hi Robin
thanks for answering and, no, I'm definitely hitting both CTRL+ALT (+Enter). I even changed the keyboard just to make sure it was not the culprit. It was not.


 

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:52
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mnemonics May 14, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Robin LEPLUMEY wrote:

These are mnemonics. They appear when you press the Alt button, please see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonics_(keyboard)

They should not appear when you hit "CTRL+ALT+Enter", though. Arre you sure you're not accidentally htting the Alt button alone?

Robin


Hi Robin
thanks for answering and, no, I'm definitely hitting both CTRL+ALT (+Enter). I even changed the keyboard just to make sure it was not the culprit. It was not.


I would like to add that this happens with Studio 2019 only, no problem with MemoQ or other CATs.


 

Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:52
Member (2014)
English to Latvian
Ctrl+Alt+Enter - in that order? May 14, 2020

Do you press the three keys in the order they are written out? I just tested this on my computer and the mnemonics appear if the Alt key is pressed first (after roughly half a second), but they disappear again upon pressing Ctrl.

Joe France
Aline Amorim
 

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:52
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+Alt+Enter - in that order? May 14, 2020

Viesturs Lacis wrote:

Do you press the three keys in the order they are written out? I just tested this on my computer and the mnemonics appear if the Alt key is pressed first (after roughly half a second), but they disappear again upon pressing Ctrl.


I just checked this out. Mnemonics appear if I hit ALT and let go the key, then, unregarded the order in which I hit CTRL and ALT mnemonics appear only after hitting "Enter". If I hold CTRL+ALT pushed mnemonics wont appear on next "Enter".
Well, no big deal, no harm is done, was just wondering about this annoying "bug".


 

Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:52
Member (2014)
English to Latvian
No bug May 14, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

If I hold CTRL+ALT pushed mnemonics wont appear on next "Enter".

Correct, this is how it's supposed to work.

Mnemonics appear if I hit ALT and let go the key, then, unregarded the order in which I hit CTRL and ALT mnemonics appear only after hitting "Enter".

Did you mean to use "disappear" in the highlighted? If so, confirmed and working as intended. Pressing and releasing Alt activates what can be described as "mnemonics mode" that lets you start navigating across the ribbon's panels and buttons by using Alt+whatever key is displayed beside the button or panel (works the same way in MS Office, btw). This mode can be deactivated by pressing and releasing Alt for a second time, or by using a shortcut that involves Alt (such as the aforementioned Ctrl+Alt+Enter, Alt+Del for clearing the target segment, or Alt+Tab to move to a different window).


 

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:52
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No bug May 14, 2020

Viesturs Lacis wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

If I hold CTRL+ALT pushed mnemonics wont appear on next "Enter".

Correct, this is how it's supposed to work.

Mnemonics appear if I hit ALT and let go the key, then, unregarded the order in which I hit CTRL and ALT mnemonics appear only after hitting "Enter".

Did you mean to use "disappear" in the highlighted? If so, confirmed and working as intended. Pressing and releasing Alt activates what can be described as "mnemonics mode" that lets you start navigating across the ribbon's panels and buttons by using Alt+whatever key is displayed beside the button or panel (works the same way in MS Office, btw). This mode can be deactivated by pressing and releasing Alt for a second time, or by using a shortcut that involves Alt (such as the aforementioned Ctrl+Alt+Enter, Alt+Del for clearing the target segment, or Alt+Tab to move to a different window).


No, I meant "appear". Why does this happen with Studio only? Can it not be deactivated?


 

Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Do you have this every day,,, May 14, 2020

or only today?

It can be due to Studio slow reaction/many working processes on your computer. Have you tried to restart the programme?


 

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 01:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same in Studio 2017 May 14, 2020

Same behaviour as described by @Wolfang happens to me in Studio 2017, when I press Ctr+Alt+Numeric Pad Hyphen, to add a long hyphen in Spanish dialogue texts.
Actually, it has always happened.
(I use Ctr+Enter to confirm segments.)


 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Why don't you change the shortcut May 14, 2020

so that it would not interfere with other commands in your system?

 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:52
English to Russian
I experience the same issue May 14, 2020

I installed the Copy Tags plugin just yesterday and wanted to assign a shortcut. It turned out to be no easy task. First, Trados does not indicate if a combination is already engaged. Second, other Alt combinations also result in such squares.
I tried Alt+T and Trados successfully allowed me to assign this shortcut, but it still runs another command (invokes Help).
I tried some other combinations with no red warning (indicating that the key combination is already used) but to no av
... See more
I installed the Copy Tags plugin just yesterday and wanted to assign a shortcut. It turned out to be no easy task. First, Trados does not indicate if a combination is already engaged. Second, other Alt combinations also result in such squares.
I tried Alt+T and Trados successfully allowed me to assign this shortcut, but it still runs another command (invokes Help).
I tried some other combinations with no red warning (indicating that the key combination is already used) but to no avail: either the shortcut is already used or Alt invokes those drop caps.
I wonder why Trados does not warn me when I assign a shortcut that has already been assigned. Hardly could I find a combination that does not do anything else (Ctrl+Alt+Z).

[Edited at 2020-05-14 16:18 GMT]
Collapse


 

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:52
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you have this every day,,, May 14, 2020

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:

or only today?

It can be due to Studio slow reaction/many working processes on your computer. Have you tried to restart the programme?


Let's say everytime I use Studio which is not too often... But, as I said, it happens only with Studio.


 

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:52
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why don't you change the shortcut May 14, 2020

Natalie wrote:

so that it would not interfere with other commands in your system?


Yes, I could do that, but see Stepan's answer. Will try when I have some time to spend.


 

Beata Baika  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 02:52
Member (2011)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Change user profile to "Default" May 15, 2020

When launching Studio for the first time, Studio prompts the user to choose a user profile. Unfortunately, some users select "Trados" instead of "Default" and end up with the keyboard shortcuts set to be compatible with the old generation Trados software (Workbench) and they are very different (CTRL-Enter to "confirm a segment" will not work for example).

Go to File -> Setup -> User Profiles and check what appears by you "Trados" or "Default".

If you switch to "Default"
... See more
When launching Studio for the first time, Studio prompts the user to choose a user profile. Unfortunately, some users select "Trados" instead of "Default" and end up with the keyboard shortcuts set to be compatible with the old generation Trados software (Workbench) and they are very different (CTRL-Enter to "confirm a segment" will not work for example).

Go to File -> Setup -> User Profiles and check what appears by you "Trados" or "Default".

If you switch to "Default" you can confirm the translated segments and go to the next one with "CTRL-Enter", without ALT.

This squares appear to me only if the mouse loses the focus.
Collapse


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Little black squares







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2021 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Trados Studio 2021 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2021 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »