International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

WinAlign error message
Thread poster: Julia Lipeles

Julia Lipeles  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:54
German to English
Jul 13, 2005

I am a new Trados user. I would like to perform a WinAlign but keep on getting the same error message. After I click "Allign File Pair(s)", the following error message is displayed:
70200: The file is not a valid rtf file or is in use by another application.
I have tried this several times but keep on getting this message. I only have WinAlign open - the files to be aligned are closed. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong - any ideas?
Thank you!

[Edited at 2005-07-13 01:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

Christian Schoenberg  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
Have you tried to reboot? Jul 13, 2005

Julia Lipeles wrote:

I am a new Trados user. I would like to perform a WinAlign but keep on getting the same error message. After I click "Allign File Pair(s)", the following error message is displayed:
I have tried this several times but keep on getting this message. I onle have WinAlign open - the files to be aligned are closed. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong - any ideas?
Thank you!

Hi Julia,

Have you tried to close everything down, reboot your computer, and try again?

Best,
Christian

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have tried to reboot - unfortunately that did not help.. Jul 13, 2005

Julia Lipeles wrote:

I have tried this several times but keep on getting this message. I only have WinAlign open - the files to be aligned are closed. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong - any ideas?
Thank you!

[Edited at 2005-07-13 01:38]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:54
English to German
+ ...
More detailed info...? Jul 13, 2005

Hi Julia,
Can you please provide more details:

- Which WinAlign version (full version number including the 'build number', please - go to Help - About... to find out)?

- Which file type are you trying to align?

Best regards,
Ralf

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
Save files as doc Jul 13, 2005

You could also verify that the files are indeed rtf files, and not just by name (Open in Word, Save as).

If that doesn't help, you can try to save the files as doc files instead. When you align, you then select the file format in the lower left corner on the General tab in the New WinAlign Project dialog.

A good tip for solving Trados problems (besides searching the forums here at Proz.com, of cource) is going to the Trados Knowledge Base at http://support.trados.com/search.asp

The easiest way to find a solution is to enter the error number in the I’m looking for the Error number: field. Unfortunately, in your case (error 70200), there are no articles for that particular error.

Finally there is also a Trados yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

Jørgen

[Edited at 2005-07-13 07:56]

German to English
TOPIC STARTER
RTF files Jul 13, 2005

Thank you Jorgen. That was indeed the problem. It seems like the two files were saved as doc files not rtf files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign error message

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search