Ditte Duclert
Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:19
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Sep 28, 2020

I have just received a job from a client on quite a specific topic, which I *know* I have translated before - so it would be very helpful for me to find the old translation again, certainly regarding selected terms, more so than whole segments of a translation memory. But for the life of me I cannot remember which client or which job or when exactly.

Is there a way you can search for a word in many sdlxliff files, like you can search for a particular word in any Word document in Win
... See more
I have just received a job from a client on quite a specific topic, which I *know* I have translated before - so it would be very helpful for me to find the old translation again, certainly regarding selected terms, more so than whole segments of a translation memory. But for the life of me I cannot remember which client or which job or when exactly.

Is there a way you can search for a word in many sdlxliff files, like you can search for a particular word in any Word document in Windows Explorer? Is there a function within Trados that would let me search for an individual word in all my past files?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

John Fry
John Fry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:19
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
You can configure Windows to index the contents of your translation memories for searching Sep 28, 2020

You can configure Windows to index the contents of your translation memories for searching. See
https://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2017/07/searching-file-contents-in-translation.html

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:19
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apsic Xbench Sep 29, 2020

Xbench allows you to search multiple sdlxliff files or TMs...

[Edited at 2020-09-29 04:58 GMT]

Ditte Duclert
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only titles Sep 29, 2020

Thanks for your replies.

When I do the search in Windows Explorer, it can only find TMs and sdlxliff files where the term is in the title, it doesn't seem to find any terms within the files.

And to search in specific sdlxliff files or TMs in Xbench, I would need to know which files to look in, which I don't...

I will figure it out

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Find all Sep 29, 2020

And to search in specific sdlxliff files or TMs in Xbench, I would need to know which files to look in, which I don't...

You can search for *.sdlxliff. Then copy all the files into a temporary folder and open with Xbench.

Davide Fezzardi
Davide Fezzardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Agent Ransack search tool Sep 29, 2020

I would suggest to have a look at Agent Ransack (see https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/ ). I find it rather useful in providing the user with an overview of the term context and of the source filename.

[Edited at 2020-09-29 15:00 GMT]

Platary (X)
Dan Lucas

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
In command line with findstr Sep 29, 2020

Hello Ditte,

Gather all your pertinent sdlxliff files in the same folder and use the command:

findstr /s "word to search" *.sdlxliff

The reference of the file found is displayed (there could be several of them).

Here is an example with another file type:

findstr

VIP9N
VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
Archivarius 3000 will do the job Sep 30, 2020

Ditte Duclert wrote:

...it would be very helpful for me to find the old translation again, certainly regarding selected terms, more so than whole segments of a translation memory....

...Is there a way you can search for a word in many sdlxliff files, like you can search for a particular word in any Word document in Windows Explorer...

See the last message of this discussion here: https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/228302-desktop_search_engine.html

Just buy Archivarius 3000, install it, point it out your information folder / disc with all your documents, archives, etc. and wait a good deal of time for the first time. The duration depends on the size of your folder(s) and the power of your machine. For example, I have hundreds of thousands of clients' documents and reference materials, archives, TMs and TMXs, and I can find any word or a word group (if I put it in quotation marks) in a blink of my eye.

The indexation takes this long solely for first time. Further, you'll only have to update the index, which happens in seconds.

In return, you will be able to search any word or phrase inside (!) of any of the documents within the indexed folder.

Good luck

Ditte Duclert
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 30, 2020

Thanks for your suggestions! I will take a look at the options mentioned.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

General search for a term in all your past TMs / sdlxliff files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »