nrgetic
nrgetic  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:03
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 15, 2005

Hi!

I'm working with Trados 6.5 build 6.5.5.438 and apparently, when I analyse a document that includes paragraphs marked with the style DO_NOT_TRANSLATE, the Workbench offers a result equal to that resulting from the very same document without that style. Is there a way to get analysis results just from the text that is nos marked as do not translate?

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
A workaround Jul 15, 2005

I don't know to make Trados behave on this point, but here's a quick workaround:

Open a copy of the document in Word and use search and replace to delete all instances of the style not to be analyzed.
(Write nothing in the Search for and Replace with fields, and select the not-to-be-translated style in the former field by clicking Formats and then Style in Search and replace dialog.)
Then analyze the file.

See more
I don't know to make Trados behave on this point, but here's a quick workaround:

Open a copy of the document in Word and use search and replace to delete all instances of the style not to be analyzed.
(Write nothing in the Search for and Replace with fields, and select the not-to-be-translated style in the former field by clicking Formats and then Style in Search and replace dialog.)
Then analyze the file.

Jørgen
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Style Jul 15, 2005

Is the style applied correctly? It has to be a character style, not a paragraph style, and it should be defined in File - Setup - Non-translatable Text in Workbech. You can try to see if these paragraphs are really skipped in Word.

Alternatively, you can create a temporary copy of the document, delete the non-translatable text (search for the style and replace with an empty string) and analyze this document.

nrgetic
nrgetic  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 15, 2005

Thanks a lot, for your help Hynek!

It was even simplier than that, anyway, I've realized that the name of the style was not properly spelled in the list of styles of the Non-Translatable section of Trados|

silly me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DO_NOT_TRANSLATE style do not affect analysis

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »