https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/34736-unable_to_open_file_with_trados.html

Unable to open file with Trados
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:52
French to English
Jul 15, 2005

I have got a file to translate (in Trados) that opens with Wordfast but doesn't open with Trados.
I can open all other files with Trados but not this particular one (the only thing special about it is that it has lots of footnotes?)
Can anyone tell me why its not opening.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...more details? Please? Jul 15, 2005

Hi NR,
I have got a file to translate (in Trados) that opens with Wordfast but doesn't open with Trados.

Can we assume that this is a Word file? If it is, which version of Word are you using? (Also, which Trados version?)

I can open all other files with Trados but not this particular one (the only thing special about it is that it has lots of footnotes?)

Can you describe the problem in more detail, please? Bearing in mind that you wouldn't open a Word file in Trados, what exactly is the nature of the problem? Is there any error code or message?

Can anyone tell me why its not opening.

Not without more information, I'm afraid...

Best regards,
Ralf

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Further details Jul 15, 2005

Word 2002, Trados 6.5 and Windows XP

There is nothing unusual about the word file except that it has footnotes. I managed to open a segment of the footnotes but can't open the main text at all.

When I press the open or open/recover buttons (Ouvrir/récuperer) in French, the text jolts! but no segments open and there is no error message anywhere

[Edited at 2005-07-15 20:14]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you try to open the footnote on its own? Jul 15, 2005

Hi again,
Word 2002, Trados 6.5 and Windows XP

Thanks...

There is nothing unusual about the word file except that it has footnotes. I managed to open a segment of the footnotes but can't open the main text at all.

Did you try to open a footnote on its own?
Footnotes are treated as sub-segments to the segment they are linked to; they require specific handling, as described in the Workbench User Manual, and more concisely in the Trados File Formats Reference Guide. If you don't follow that routine, you may damage the document, and potentially the installation under Word.

When I press the open or open/recover buttons (Ouvrir/récuperer) in French, the text jolts! but no segments open and there is no error message anywhere

I would suggest to recreate the document, and to strictly adhere to the workflow explained in the File Formats Reference Guide.

Search for "footnotes" in the Trados Knowledge Base if you need advice on troubleshooting.

Best regards,
Ralf

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
There must be certain word files that are unsegmentable by Trados Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for your suggestions but there is nothing I can do then. Footnotes may be treated as sub-segments but I can't segment the original document let alone sub-segment it.
I have redownloaded the original file and it still doesn't operate with Trados.
Luckily it does segment completely normally with wordfast!

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Installation under Word? Jul 15, 2005

Did you try to open a footnote on its own?
Footnotes are treated as sub-segments to the segment they are linked to; they require specific handling, as described in the Workbench User Manual, and more concisely in the Trados File Formats Reference Guide. If you don't follow that routine, you may damage the document, and potentially the installation under Word.

Hi Ralf,

Just curious, but what do you mean with potentially damaging the installation under Word? Could handling footnotes the wrong way corrupt Word's normal.dot or the trados.dot?

Regards,
Gerard

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Registry Jul 15, 2005

Hi Gerard,

Just curious, but what do you mean with potentially damaging the installation under Word? Could handling footnotes the wrong way corrupt Word's normal.dot or the trados.dot?

Neither, but the registry. The most common error involving footnotes is to manually force the separate footnote window opened automatically to close - see KB article 762 for details.

Best regards,
Ralf

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem still occurs with Trados 7 Jul 28, 2005

Back from holidays and have 5 days to return this translation "on Trados" (that I have been able to do with Wordfast). Installed Trados 7 and the same problem occurs: I put my cursor on the first sentance of source text and press open/get and nothing happens. No segment is opened.
This problem ONLY applies to this particular word document.
I have searched Trados Knowledge Base but seen nothing similar and have not had any answer from Trados.
You were also right to say that me
... See more
Back from holidays and have 5 days to return this translation "on Trados" (that I have been able to do with Wordfast). Installed Trados 7 and the same problem occurs: I put my cursor on the first sentance of source text and press open/get and nothing happens. No segment is opened.
This problem ONLY applies to this particular word document.
I have searched Trados Knowledge Base but seen nothing similar and have not had any answer from Trados.
You were also right to say that messing around with footnotes damages the Trados 6.5 installation itself as I found when I deperately tried to open this text.

Would still appreciate help
Best regards,

[Edited at 2005-07-28 04:49]
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
What does WorkBench say? Jul 29, 2005

The line below the mainscreen of WorkBench usually gives an error message. What does this message say?

I have had problems opening ordinary Word documents with Trados (doc.s with and without footnotes), so this might be very helpful!

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for this first clue!! Jul 29, 2005

I finally managed to open the document last night by changing its style (in french "effacer la mise en forme")

Trados can't open Word documents in certain styles then? The error message (which I have only just found as it was off-screen before) reads : dont use as list separator in style name. Change in control panel/Regional settings/number.
What does this mean?
Thanks for your help

PCovs wrote:

The line below the mainscreen of WorkBench usually gives an error message. What does this message say?

I have had problems opening ordinary Word documents with Trados (doc.s with and without footnotes), so this might be very helpful!

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Opening the document vs. opening a segment? Jul 29, 2005

Hi again,
I finally managed to open the document last night by changing its style (in french "effacer la mise en forme")

How do you change a style without opening the document first? Or are you referring to opening a segment?

Trados can't open Word documents in certain styles then? The error message (which I have only just found as it was off-screen before) reads : dont use as list separator in style name. Change in control panel/Regional settings/number.
What does this mean?

Please see KB article 438.

Best regards,
Ralf

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Many thanks Jul 29, 2005

Thanks everyone. Trados doesn't open segments in documents with a semi-colon in the style name - but this can be remedied!
All in order and I can use my wordfast tmx memory in Trados and deliver on time.
Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,

How do you change a style without opening the document first? Or are you referring to opening a segment?

What does this mean?

Please see KB article 438.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open file with Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »