Find/Replace in target segments in Trados?
Thread poster: Spiros Doikas

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:33
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Jul 16, 2005

Is it possible to find and replace words and phrases in target segments ONLY in Trados after pretranslating with an empty TM?

I know this is very easy with DVX.

I use Trados 6.5

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Maintenance Jul 16, 2005

Yes, you can. In Workbenchse File/Maintenance, Find and Replace, you can find a word or phrase and replace it with another in the TM. You can click Change to change just in the visible units, or in all units.
You may want to restrict the range by setting other filter values, e.g the User ID, or time and date.
Once you have changed these values in the TM, you can use "Translate to Fuzzy" to run through your translation again to double-check the results.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:33
English to Czech
+ ...
Empty TM? Jul 16, 2005

The only thing you can get by pretranslating with an empty TM is source copied to target (if you check "Segment unknown sentences" in Workbench). If this is what you want, pretranslate the document, hide the source segments in Word (Tools - View) and use the Find and Replace function in Word. It will replace only in the target segments.

Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A macro perhaps? Jul 16, 2005

I see. So there is no direct way to do this on the actual Word doc, one has to go through the TWB? I thought that there might be a macro of some sort that would allow this.

Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this is it! Jul 16, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

The only thing you can get by pretranslating with an empty TM is source copied to target (if you check "Segment unknown sentences" in Workbench). If this is what you want, pretranslate the document, hide the source segments in Word (Tools - View) and use the Find and Replace function in Word. It will replace only in the target segments.

Yes, this is what I was thinking about!

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-05 23:45]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find/Replace in target segments in Trados?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search