Local time: 01:16
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2005

Multiterm 7.0.1
Windows XP Pro SP 2
Word 2003
Multiterm Convert 7

When I try to import a terminology base converted from Excel to xml by multiterm convert 7, the import seems to run fine, but just before the processing ends, I get an error message on a

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library"

dialogue box stating:

"Program: C:\ProgramFiles\TRADOS\Multiterm\multiterm.exe"
"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. PLeae contact the application's support team for more information".

Has anyone else had the same experience and if so, are there any fixes? I have tried to configure the import in many different ways and always get the same result. Trados 7 is installed with a softkey license and is registered.

Thanks for any help anyone may have.

[Edited at 2005-07-19 08:18]

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:16
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
I have Jul 21, 2005

Hi Richard, I'm using the same software as you and I have also had this problem. In my case it also happened when I was trying to import - the program crashed at about 92% of the import.

I was trying to import databases I'd previously exported from the previous MultiTerm version.

To cut a long story short, the problem seems to be this: if the field labels in the XML file you are importing are not EXACTLY the same as the ones you've defined in your MT 7 termbase, the program will crash.

You need to check that the headings at the top of your Excel column are exactly the same as the field labels.

The field label is at step 3 of the termbase wizard when you are creating your termbase. This field label needs to have exactly the same text as the text at the top of your Excel file columns

For example, if one of the field labels you've created at step three of the termbase wizard is 'French', then the text in the first cell at the top of your Excel file needs to be 'French' before you convert your data into an XML file. If you write 'FRENCH' or 'Source Term', or 'french' or indeed anything other than 'French', you will have this problem.

The field labels have to be exactly the same. You can either modify the text at the top of your Excel columns and do the conversion again (probably the easiest solution), or if not you should be able to modify your field labels in the termbase, which I'm not sure I've quite worked out how to do yet.

The first step is for you to check to see whether these texts agree with each other. Don't forget you need to check for each language. Once you've established that they're not the same, if indeed the problem is the same as mine, you should be half way to solving it.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Paul.

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The mystery continues Jul 22, 2005

Thanks for your input, Paul. I was beginning to think that I was the only one with this probelm. Sadly though, the column headings are not my problem. By using the same definitions for conversion, import and termbase, they are all the same and are identical to the excel column headings.

Since my first post I removed Multiterm 7.0.1 and installed 7.0.0.

In doing this, I discovered that the runtime error occurs in the second step of the import. The first step is the actual import and the second step is a reorganisation that normally takes a few minutes. This is where the runtime error occurs.

Using the earlier version (Multiterm 7.0.0), I am now able to convert excel into xml and import but not on all termbases. So far I discovered one term base that just will not import. The same runtime error during the reorganise.

I can't figure out if its a windows or a trados problem and I hope that one day a patch will be issued.

Any other insight you might have would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks again and best regards

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:16
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Another thought Jul 22, 2005

Hi again Richard,
There is aother thing, which I'm not sure about, it's just a sneaking suspicion.

At step 2 of the import wizard there is a box to check; 'Fast import (import file is fully compliant with Multi Term XML)'. I got the impression at least once that the program was crashing if I didn't check this box.

It might be worth a try for you to look at that?

Best regards,
Paul

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had the same suspicion... Jul 22, 2005

....and I always check it. I think though that if it isn't checked you have to include an exclusion file for it to work.

Since my last post I managed to import the excel file that was giving problems by exluding a "text" column for source. I then chenged the definitions to have only two term fields and the import worked. The odd thing is the other files that I succesfully converted and imported had the third source comlumn.

I was something in the excel files that created a problem. Some of the files I have had for a while and it could be that they were created by another version of excel.

I'm still baffled.

Thanks for your thoughts and best regards

James Chan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Could you please tell me the detail how to exclude? Sep 2, 2005

Richard,

I also experienced the same problem. It appears that you have a solution to this. Could you please tell me how you exclude a "text" column in your case?

I will certainly appreciate that.

James Chan

Richard Hall wrote:

....and I always check it. I think though that if it isn't checked you have to include an exclusion file for it to work.

Since my last post I managed to import the excel file that was giving problems by exluding a "text" column for source. I then chenged the definitions to have only two term fields and the import worked. The odd thing is the other files that I succesfully converted and imported had the third source comlumn.

I was something in the excel files that created a problem. Some of the files I have had for a while and it could be that they were created by another version of excel.

I'm still baffled.

Thanks for your thoughts and best regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 7

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search