Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:03
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Jul 31, 2005

I've used the clean up tool (Trados Workbench 6.5) on a Word doc which had an intricate (3-level) outline numbering (in this format: 3.2.4).

The "cleaning up" seemed also to clean the numbering altogether...

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance, Doron

[Edited at 2005-07-31 15:46]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:03
English to German
+ ...
Check the formatting Jul 31, 2005

Hi Doron,
I've used the clean up tool (Trados Workbench 6.5) on a Word doc which had an intricate (3-level) outline numbering (in this format: 3.2.4).

Has this numbering also been set in the styles used to format the respective paragraphs (or was it applied manually)?

The "cleaning up" seemed also to clean the numbering altogether...

Such behaviour is frequently caused by 'manual' formatting, as opposed to properly setting and applying Word styles.

What you could try is to store a copy of the pre-cleanup file (the .bak document), and to use the cleanup macro (TW4WinClean.Main). As you already ran a cleanup, your TM will have been updated.

Best regards,
Ralf

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Jul 31, 2005

Dear Ralf,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Indeed I have tweaked the numbering manually, in a desparate attempt to make the target Hebrew numbering match the original English style.

Seems I'll have to go through this in the proper Word way (i.e. losing half-a-night sleep). Then I guess I'll try cleaning up again.

What did you mean by "use the cleanup macro (TW4WinClean.Main)"?

Thanks again, Doron

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:03
English to German
+ ...
"Forced" cleanup Jul 31, 2005

Hi again,
Indeed I have tweaked the numbering manually, in a desparate attempt to make the target Hebrew numbering match the original English style.

Seems I'll have to go through this in the proper Word way (i.e. losing half-a-night sleep).

Not necessarily - what you'll need to do is to properly define the styles for Heading1/Heading2/Heading3, and apply it to the relevant section headings.

What did you mean by "use the cleanup macro (TW4WinClean.Main)"?

The Trados template includes a macro called tw4winClean.Main, which will remove source text from your document (=clean it up). The difference between the macro and the Cleanup task is that (i) no backup file will be created; and (ii) your TM will not be updated with any subsequent changes made during editing. Therefore, the macro should be used with care, but can be extremely handy if there is a problem cleaning up.

Best regards,
Ralf

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Jul 31, 2005

I shall follow your instructions.
Thanks for enlightening me regarding that Trados macro.

Best wishes, Doron

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Losing Outline Numbering after Clean Up

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »