Thread poster: xxxOTMed
xxxOTMed
Poland
Local time: 02:11
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 1, 2005

Hi all,
For some time now I seem to be struggling with Trados WB changing text formatting. I use WB 6.5.5.441 build 439 freelance on a Windows XP SP 2, Polish language version with a Polish Office XP SP 3.
The problem exists in to some pre-formatted documents only, and I have the impression that it may be specifically related to post-OCR rtfs, but never could pinpoint a specific cause.
What happens is that after I open a source text (Times 12, Normal style) in the WB, the source and target segments are automatically converted to Times 12, Italic, All Caps. This formatting is kept after closing the segment.
In addition to this the client seems to have problems with Polish diacriticals.

Tried the following, to no avail:
1. using a clean Normal.dot
2. exporting the TM and recreating a new TM

This problem does not exist on the other computers at the office and the only way I can work is to remove all formatting.

Any ideas anyone please?

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A localized Office versions conflict (?) Aug 1, 2005

Dr. G. Palka wrote:

Hi all,
For some time now I seem to be struggling with Trados WB changing text formatting. I use WB 6.5.5.441 build 439 freelance on a Windows XP SP 2, Polish language version with a Polish Office XP SP 3.
The problem exists in to some pre-formatted documents only, and I have the impression that it may be specifically related to post-OCR rtfs, but never could pinpoint a specific cause.
What happens is that after I open a source text (Times 12, Normal style) in the WB, the source and target segments are automatically converted to Times 12, Italic, All Caps. This formatting is kept after closing the segment.
In addition to this the client seems to have problems with Polish diacriticals.

The Polish diacritics are often a client side problem.
Often, they have no idea about the CP, charsets etc.

Tried the following, to no avail:
1. using a clean Normal.dot

Deleted or simply restored ?

2. exporting the TM and recreating a new TM

This problem does not exist on the other computers at the office and the only way I can work is to remove all formatting.

The same Office version ?

Any ideas anyone please?

Sometimes, I experience the same kind of problem with doc files created in some spanish Office versions.
Your problem is document specific.

Try to open/save the file in Open Office or WordPerfect.
It may help.

Best regards
GG

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
We have discussed very similar issues here often before Aug 1, 2005

Personally I allways stuck with such problems, when the document was generated on a machine with asian operating system. As far any asian language is assigned to ANY format in your document, you will (this is my impression) run into similar problems.
Most formatting issues are caused by bad customer formatting.

The first workaround (so sggested by Trados in Stuttgart) is to save the particular as RTF (provided this will not damage the document structure, which is not allways tha case). Then close Word, restart it, reopen the RTF file, save as Word, close Word again, restart again and start with the newly saved Word file. This seems to work on most cases, when no trace of Chineese or so is to be found.

When you get a file with asian language defined as first one and the western language as the second one, you will not be able to change the asian language. If the document does not contain to many styles, create a fully new document, create styles in it to match the styles in the customer document. The styles MUST have the same names as the styles in the customer document. Save the new created file as Word or as dot - this does not matter. Go to the customer document and using the ALT+F8 command open the macro window, take the function called "Organise" (or similar, I´m using german Word and don´t know the english or polish name of that function). This should take you to the screen where you can copy auto textes, macros and styles between the current document and any other style sheet (or document) on your PC. Choose the styles page. In the left window you will see the styles in your current document, in the right window all styles from your normal.dot. You can close normal.dot and then open any othe file. Do so and open the new created file with styles. Copy all styles from it to your current document. The asian language will be erased and your problems should be gone.

This is something I wanted to show sometime within a Powwow in Poland - when I come to it
Maybe the time will come and we could meet and discuss this silly behaviour using a PC to demonstrate what happens and how we get rid of it. So we could learn a lot from each other.

Regards
Jerzy

xxxOTMed
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your input Aug 1, 2005

Will try to address your comments/questions below, one by one. Quite frankly I don’t think this will get us closer to solving the Trados reformatting issue, but at least its good to know that I am not the only one to face the formatting problems.

The client claims that Polish is the only language they seem to have problems with, and this makes me feel truly guilty indeed. The really frustrating part is that the client had problems with formatting and diacriticals AFTER we have removed all formatting.
What is interesting is that the document in question has only normal style + several Trados specific styles.

Grzegorz:
1. The Normal.dot was re-created from scratch, i.e. old Normal.dot was renamed and the new one was created automatically by MS Word.
2. Same (more or less) software is running on other PCs (there might be some SPc differences)
3. I’m afraid I don't have any Word Perfect or Open Office at hand.

Jerzy:
1. The files were received as rtfs, but I tried the doc>rtf>doc trick, but it doesn’t seem to work.
2. Again, the only styles I can see are normal style and the “intrinsic” Trados styles.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

xxxOTMed
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Prolem solved (at least for now) Aug 1, 2005

Having tried all kinds of tricks I could think of we have decided on adopting the following last resort strategy:
1. I will clean the formatting (bulleted lists, italics etc.) and do the translation.
2. The person whose computer seems to handle the text will trados-translate the formatted source document, using the TM created off my translation.

Earlier, I did try to copy+paste the contents of this file into a new MS Word but this did not work.

The very last thing I could think of in utter desperation was the simplest of "workarounds", namely copy _text only_ and paste it into a new .doc. (i.e. starting the selection on a 1st character and endingon a last character of the text, as opposed to "Select All", copy+paste to a new doc.)

And this has worked OK!
Having solved this highly troubling annoyance I am now officially naming myself an one time Trados deathmatch winner and granting a prize which is a nice glass of whisky.

Anyhow, thanks for your support - I do hope my workaround may be helpful for some of you out there.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have all fonts used by your clients document? Aug 2, 2005

Obviously even RTFs do use font formatting.
And if there is a font you don´t have, it will be substituted - and this causes problems.
Please check this.

Thank you
Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench alters formatting in the source and target segments

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search