Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:16
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2005

I have not had Trados very long, and I would like to know if anyone could tell me what agencies want when they ask to be sent a TM. I am not used to this situation, since I work mostly for end customers.

I am against the idea of sending out TMs in the first place, since I believe they are the intellectual property of the creator. However, on this occasion I agreed to send an agency a TM together with a translation. I therefore created a new TM for the translation and did not use one of my usual ones - and in due course sent them the translation and their own special TM created from it. I have subsequently received a complaint from them that they only received one file out of five. As far as I am aware, I did not create five TMs, I created one. This one TM I can open, see, edit, etc. I do not know how or where to locate another four.

I had sent them the TM by e-mail by clicking on Desktop, Trados, Translator's Workbench, TT, and then selecting the TM and adding it to my document. Is this not the correct way to do it? If so, what did they want from me, and how should it be added to the e-mail?

Thanks for any light you can throw on the matter.

Astrid

Direct link Reply with quote

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
You did right but forgot.... Aug 2, 2005

to attach all files.
When you use explorer to find the TM to be attached, you will find 4 other files with the same name as your TM - these must be attached as well. The icon and the extension differs from the one you usually select when opening a TM, but the name you have given the new TM is the same for all 5 files.

[Edited at 2005-08-02 15:23]

Luciano Monteiro  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Exporting a TM Aug 2, 2005

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

from it. I have subsequently received a complaint from them that they only received one file out of five. As far as I am aware, I did not create five TMs, I created one. This one TM I can open, see, edit, etc. I do not know how or where to locate another four.

I had sent them the TM by e-mail by clicking on Desktop, Trados, Translator's Workbench, TT, and then selecting the TM and adding it to my document. Is this not the correct way to do it? If so, what did they want from me, and how should it be added to the e-mail?

Thanks for any light you can throw on the matter.

Astrid

Dear Astrid

As far as I am concerned, Trados creates five files for each Translation Memory. The TMX file is the main one that you open on Translator's Workbench to work with or to edit. But it will not work unless you have the other four files, with identical names but different extensions.

In these situations, you should use Translator's Workbench to export (File>Export) your TM as a TXT file and send it over to your client, who will be able to reimport the entries to their TM or to create a new one.

Best regards

Luciano Monteiro

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
No need to export Aug 2, 2005

Luciano Monteiro wrote:

In these situations, you should use Translator's Workbench to export (File>Export) your TM as a TXT file and send it over to your client, who will be able to reimport the entries to their TM or to create a new one.
Luciano Monteiro

No need to export - simply press 'attach' in Outlook Express - find the files, attach them as any other file and send the e-mail.

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Several ways to Rome Aug 2, 2005

The easy way is to use load the TM in the Trados Workbench (the small window that shows the fuzzy matches if there are any).
Open the file menu
Click on export
Select ihe Source language/Targetlanguage and Created by fields
Click OK
Enter a file name
Click Save.

Send them the file. It will have a txt extension and it should be easy for them to import it in their own solution.

The 2nd solution does indeed involve 5 files for just 1 TM

The TMs are stored as 5 files that belong together. They are named
*.iix
*.mdf
*.mtf
*.mwf
*.tmw

You can zip them into one file and just send it.

I hope this helps

Siggi

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everyone Aug 2, 2005

Thank you all. I have found all those files now. There seems to be only one with a blue square and four others with a different appearance.

I think I will try the Export option, though. I have already tried lining them up in an e-mail and was just about to click "send" when I noticed I had made a mistake, and four of them were the right files and the fifth was a file from one of my own - highly confidential - TMs. So I guess it is safer to somehow batch them together to send.

Astrid

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
A .txt file is much smaller.. Aug 2, 2005

than the five parts of a Trados TM. It will takes less time to be sent.
Best,

Haydée

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Only .tmw 'recognised' by Windows Aug 2, 2005

Hi Astrid,
There seems to be only one with a blue square and four others with a different appearance.

This is expected Windows behaviour - only .tmw files are associated with Translators' Workbench in the Windows registry.

So I guess it is safer to somehow batch them together to send.

You could zip the five files - as an alternative, why don't you send them the pre-cleanup file? In this way, you can use your main TM without giving away anything. If they insist on a TM (export), create a copy of the pre-cleanup version, and run a cleanup against an empty TM.

(...was that clear?)

Best regards,
Ralf

Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Run a clean-up against an empty TM? Aug 2, 2005

Hi Ralf,

No, that isn't quite clear, but it might be once I examine the Trados instructions and then try it out. Thanks for the tip!

Astrid

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
So true, Ralph Aug 2, 2005

I actually often do just this.

If the client can use a TM, they must have Trados or another compatible CAT, and therefore they can just as easily clean up the file(s) themselves into their own TM / new TM.

There's really no need for you to do this, but of course if the client insists, you could, as Ralph suggests, save the unclean file, create a new TM for this purpose only, and then clean up the file using this TM. This is done in the exact same way as with your other TMs. Then they can have that one - although this still leaves you with having to export the entries into a txt-file or zip the 5 folders.

[Edited at 2005-08-02 16:44]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending a Trados TM to an agency

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search