Strange jumping behaviour
Thread poster: Jørgen Madsen

Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:43
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 10, 2005

I'm translating a word file (doc) using Word 2002 and Trados 6.5.5.438 (no recent upgrades). The word file contains one large table with one column and one sentence/segment in each cell. Some segments include internal Trados tags (not sure from which program, maybe FM).
When leaving some (not all) segments using Alt++ to go to the next segment, Word jumps 50 lines down in the document, thus skipping a lot of segments and opens a segment there. There's nothing wrong with the segments in between; they can be opened normally.
Any ideas why this is happening? I've worked with Trados almost daily for 9 years now and have never seen this behaviour before.

8) Jørgen

Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-) Aug 11, 2005

When leaving some (not all) segments using Alt++ to go to the next segment, Word jumps 50 lines down in the document, thus skipping a lot of segments and opens a segment there.

Not a solution, just some commiseration. I delivered a document yesterday that had the same glitch. I had to open the segments manually, one by one, since trying to jump automatically to the next segment would place me near the end of the document.

So have a cup of coffee and gather your patience...icon_smile.gif I learnt how to use some interesting shortcuts along the way.

P.
www.pbayle.com

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:43
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
similar problem Aug 11, 2005

again, with tables in Word format. In my case, 100% matches are not recognized, unless I manually press "get" button for each and every segment. Indeed, patience is required!
Does anyone know how Wordfast deals with tables?

Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workarounds Aug 11, 2005

Thanks for the comments... nice to know I'm not alone hereicon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, as a freelancer you get used to finding workarounds and creative solutions to all kinds of problems. In this particular case, I chose not to try and understand Trados but rather make a copy of the file and convert the table into text. After having translated this copy, I could quickly translate the original file using Translate to fuzzy.

icon_cool.gif Jørgen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange jumping behaviour

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search