Italy
Local time: 19:12
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 11, 2005

Hello! I hope someone can help me with this:
Trados 6.0
Word 2000

I'm translating 5000 words in a two-column table, and I have a lot of trouble with my segments.
1. Sometimes they don't open at all, w/o error message.
2. Sometimes the new segment opens, but in the middle of a word, the rest remains above, unopened.
3. Even if it opens with the first word plus some more letters, I have to expand the segment because the rest remains unopened.

There is nothing wrong with my segmentation rules, they are the same I always use, and this is a perfectly normal word-text.

Even if I copy them to another file, the problem remains.

Any ideas?

best regards
Anna Ryden

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
segmentation Aug 11, 2005

Hi

tables w/wo columns often create such problems. I am sorry I cannot help, the only thing I can suggest is to try to copy-and-paste the text into the table in a new file without table, then run Trados so it can store the translation and finally close this new file, open the original one -that with the table - and run again Trados. Maybe you succeed in entering the translation that way.

Anto

[Edited at 2005-08-11 09:52]

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Trados doesn't really like tables in Word Aug 11, 2005

...as I have learnt over the years (see also my previous post in this forum).

A workaround for you would be to take a copy of the file to be translated and convert the table to text. Translate this converted copy and autotranslated the original file when you're done. Should work...

Jørgen

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not a Trados-specific problem, unfortunately Aug 11, 2005

After several happy years with WordFast, I had the same problems, already twice. Probably the more complicated the formatting is, the less reliable CAT tools become.

The translation of a "raw" text looks like a good solution, thanks, Maria Antonietta!

Have patience
Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange segmentation behaviour

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search