Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:34
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 12, 2005

Trados 6.5.5.438

I'm re-translating a text I translated yesterday since the client made a couple of changes. So in most cases, the tm should show a 100% match. However, in some cases, Trados "invents" words in the source text, so that it's only a parial match (with Translate to Fuzzy).
E.g., actual (unchanged) source text as seen in Word:
The amount of time that you will participate in this study is estimated to be about seven months, including screening.

Te
... See more
Trados 6.5.5.438

I'm re-translating a text I translated yesterday since the client made a couple of changes. So in most cases, the tm should show a 100% match. However, in some cases, Trados "invents" words in the source text, so that it's only a parial match (with Translate to Fuzzy).
The amount of time that you will participate in this study is estimated to be about seven months, including screening.

Text displayed in Workbench:
The amount of time that you will participate in this study is estimated to be about sevenfour months, including screening.

I checked with track changes that there never has been the word "four" in there. It happened in another sentence, also with a number. But it also happens with other words:

BothThe arm (left arm) receiving the vaccination s will be marked with a pen at four corners.
Should be: The arm (left arm) receiving the vaccination will be marked with a pen at four corners.

Another problem with this particular text is that Trados doesn't alway recognize sentence segmentation and brings up two sentences together (with Translate to Fuzzy), which just the day before worked fine. If I close this extended segment and re-open it, it's OK.

??

This has never happened before. What has changed in the meantime is that I have intalled Trados 7 and switched back and forth several times, always registering the version I was about to use. So this looks like some kind of interference problem.

Has anybody else experienced some strange behavior?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-12 00:37]

[Edited at 2005-08-12 00:42]
Collapse

zhdim
zhdim
German to English
+ ...
Probably is tracked changes - accept all changes and start over in the file Aug 12, 2005

Hi Heike,

I've run into this precise problem several times before, and it has always been tracked changes. Sometimes you can't see them because the author simply set Word not to show them.

What always works for me is to go to Reviewing in Word and accept all changes, whether you see any or not. You sometimes have to reopen the original version sent by the client, because the Word file will have been "contaminated" when you open a segment that has tracked changes in it.
... See more
Hi Heike,

I've run into this precise problem several times before, and it has always been tracked changes. Sometimes you can't see them because the author simply set Word not to show them.

What always works for me is to go to Reviewing in Word and accept all changes, whether you see any or not. You sometimes have to reopen the original version sent by the client, because the Word file will have been "contaminated" when you open a segment that has tracked changes in it.

Just as an extra note (you probably already know this), you don't have to check to see whether track changes is on in Word or not, because if it were on, Trados would not open the segment. It will, however, open segments that have changes tracked in them, whether they are shown or not.

I hope that helps, and I'll be interested to know if it doesn't, as I don't know of any other cause for this. Trados otherwise is not really capable of inserting source words into a segment. But who knows - I love Trados, but the program is so buggy it can drive you crazy!

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

Trados 6.5.5.438

Text displayed in Workbench:
The amount of time that you will participate in this study is estimated to be about sevenfour months, including screening.

I checked with track changes that there never has been the word "four" in there. It happened in another sentence, also with a number. But it also happens with other words:

BothThe arm (left arm) receiving the vaccination s will be marked with a pen at four corners.
Should be: The arm (left arm) receiving the vaccination will be marked with a pen at four corners.

Another problem with this particular text is that Trados doesn't alway recognize sentence segmentation and brings up two sentences together (with Translate to Fuzzy), which just the day before worked fine. If I close this extended segment and re-open it, it's OK.

??

This has never happened before. What has changed in the meantime is that I have intalled Trados 7 and switched back and forth several times, always registering the version I was about to use. So this looks like some kind of interference problem.

Has anybody else experienced some strange behavior?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-12 00:37]

[Edited at 2005-08-12 00:42]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:34
English to German
+ ...
Always accept changes before using Trados on Word files Aug 12, 2005

See the notes on preparing Word files in the Trados File Formats Reference Guide:

Tracked Changes – tracked changes must not be present in the Word documents to be translated with Translator’s Workbench. If your Word documents contain tracked changes, Translator’s Workbench displays a warning message. Consult the originator of the document about accepting or rejecting revision marks. Then, deactivate the feature in each Word document before translating it.

Rest assured - I also learned from experience...

Best regards,
Ralf

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:34
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Better me than Trados! Aug 12, 2005

Thanks for the explanation!

I always turn Track changes off, but I didn't know I had to accept the changes. I guess I never had to re-run the tm over the same text with changes.

But at least I can change my behavior. It'd be much harder to change the behavior of Trados!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange behavior

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »